DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > How hard is it to switch plugs?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2007, 08:40 PM  
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,990
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


In the kitchen and dining room I would use 20a receptacles, those with in 6' of water source should be GFCI. GFCI for the outdoor receptacles and the bathroom too.
Then, the normal 15a receptacles (using #14 wire) would use standard 15 a equipment. All must have the 3 hole outlets and romex wire with a bare copper ground. Stab-Lok receptacles with the UL seal of approval are safe to use and much quicker to install.
For GFCI's, it is permissable to use one GFCI and pass through it to other receptacles in the area (Say, 1 for the baths and 2 for the kitchen). GFCI's are usually rated at 15a but will pass through at 20a. The receptacles that are rated 20a are to be wired up with 12-2 w/G and it doesn't hurt a bit to use the 12-2w/G for all your wiring. I bought a 1,000' roll of the #12 and use a 15a breaker on the standard receptacles. I also bought a box of 10 GFCI's, a box of 10 20a, and 2 boxes of 15a.
Clear as Mud? I'll be happy to try to help you sort it out, if you need it.

glennjanie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:34 PM  
The Cable Guy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 48

one thing I didn't see anyone mention you know how some rooms you have one outlet that the bottom work and the top is seperated onto a switch that's because the tabs next to the screws is broken and there is actually two sets of wire coming to that one outlet it could be that in that one box you find green or bare wire for ground one white and either two black wires or a black an a red if it's a newer home built the "right" way I have years of experience with electrical work of all sorts and those little things seam to be what people don't know and then they stick there fingers in there after putting one of those test lights in the outlet an think it is off and touch the screws and zap themself. FYI GFI means Ground Fault Interupt it's those mini curcuit breaker buttons on the outlet itself that say test reset or you may have one in the circuit panel itself with a red switch and an extra white coiled ground wire when you look inside the panel. if you get so bold as to not trust turning off the circuits and want to open the inner cover of the panel beware the fater the wire the more amperage which means how much faster it cooks your hamburger. most houses are supplied with 200 Amps these days even older houses usually get upgraded to 200 Amps and just as Glenn I would be happy to help with any questions I have a library of knowledge on the subject, and yes I have been shocked before
-Andy the cable guy

I love to work on my house would love to help you with yours!
AndyD5 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Swapping non GFCI plugs for GFCI plugs swimmer_spe Electrical and Wiring 36 06-17-2016 02:44 PM
Why are plugs polarized? Kumar Garage & Workshop Forum 4 07-06-2010 04:41 AM
Blog Post on Dryer Plugs ohmy Electrical and Wiring 1 04-20-2010 09:00 PM
Screw plugs prosc1 Windows and Doors 5 03-28-2010 11:57 AM
How are 30amp & 50 amp plugs connected? Scott447 Electrical and Wiring 10 07-11-2009 09:08 PM

Newest Threads