DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Can I roof it myself??

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:09 AM  
Donjon99
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you solo that you might could do it in a week (just because of lack of experience). I could solo that in two days ( just because I know exactly how and what to do) with all the right tools. Old shingle nail popper, coil nail gun, shingle lift, trailer for old shingles, hook blades, etc. My 1st house was about that size and took me a week with a hammer. Its a lot of work. Make sure you understand how to lay the starter strips at eave or you will have leaks and rot your overhang.

Last edited by Donjon99; 11-18-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:46 PM  
OverMyHead
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've decided to wait til spring for this job. With the holidays coming up, and winter fast approaching, I don't want to rush. I talked to my neighbor's son who I found out used to be a roofer. He gave me some advice and he knows someone he used to work with who could come over and help. Fella seemed to be quality oriented and had an eye for detail. Plus he has tools so that will be a cost savings.

Thanks for all the advice. I hope to update this thread in the future.

zannej Likes This 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:40 AM  
zannej

Liked 501 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMyHead View Post
I've decided to wait til spring for this job. With the holidays coming up, and winter fast approaching, I don't want to rush. I talked to my neighbor's son who I found out used to be a roofer. He gave me some advice and he knows someone he used to work with who could come over and help. Fella seemed to be quality oriented and had an eye for detail. Plus he has tools so that will be a cost savings.

Thanks for all the advice. I hope to update this thread in the future.
That sounds like a good plan. I'm glad you found someone local with knowledge who can help.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:52 PM  
Sparky617
Liked 262 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 162

While you *could* reroof without stripping the old shingles off, I wouldn't. You can't easily inspect the roof deck, and the old shingles don't make a great base for the new shingles. Take the time and do it right. If you're in snow and ice country add the ice shield to the lower part of the roof. If you're feeling generous, you can apply it to the whole roof.

zannej Likes This