DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Appliance Discussion > replaced dryer vent now dryer is cold inside.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:29 PM  
SidecarBob
Retired & too busy to go back to work

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The vent we have is a hood type with the open end down and a flapper, just like the one it replaced.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:40 AM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1141 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1873

Flapper may be lighter material than the last one. it might just be blowin' in the wind.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:50 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned
Liked 176 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 108

If your heating bill shows no difference before and after the new vent, don't worry.

Divide the therms by the Heating Degree Days for each period.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:09 PM  
SidecarBob

There will be a big difference in the bill because it has already been colder out than we saw last February. Hopefully the replaced windows will moderate that difference a bit, though.

I just dried some clothes and haven't taken them out yet so I checked the dryer and there was definitely a cold breeze entering through the lint trap as verified by laying a paper over the opening. I went outside and discovered that the flapper was stuck open. When I freed the flap it slammed shut and there is no breeze in the lint trap now.

I didn't have my glasses on but there was something shiny where it was stuck so I think the culprit could be moisture condensing inside the hood when the dryer is running hot and then freezing & sticking the flapper to the inside of the hood when the dryer is cool near the end of its cycle. I have more to dry so I think I'll spray some silicone on first and see if that keeps it from sticking open.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 01-05-2018, 02:59 PM  
SidecarBob

The dryer stopped so I checked the vent again and it closed properly this time.

This is interesting. Before I started this thread I checked to make sure the flapper was closing and it was closed when I looked so I assumed that it was always closing. The daytime highs were still a few degrees above freezing then so maybe what was happening was that the vent stuck occasionally when it was colder out at night but it thawed & closed when the sun came out (its on a south facing brick wall that is usually warmer than the air when the sun is out - can you say "thermal mass"?). Maybe. I will continue to monitor this during the next few weeks to see if the silicone really did fix it.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:50 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned
Liked 176 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarBob View Post
There will be a big difference in the bill because it has already been colder out than we saw last February.
That's why you divide by the heating degree days.
http://www.degreedays.net/

Miami welcomes you if you can stand the humidity & the drug dealers!

So maybe you need a 10w 12v bulb in the duct near the flapper.

"When you've eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth."

Do your water lines freeze and so people with welders have to come by and put some amps through the pipes?

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 01-05-2018 at 04:54 PM.