DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Help with Outside Garage Lighting

Old 06-19-2017, 01:26 AM  
WyrTwister
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

My guess is , the white is hot & the switch leg is the black ( where they are feed from , I have no idea ) .

A non contact voltage tester should glow , on the hot . If neither is hot , you have to go investigate some where else in the house or garage .

( If you have a bare ground wire & it is connected properly , a contact volt meter will tell you if the white ot black is hot . )

God bless
Wyr

Old 06-19-2017, 01:40 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2724 Times on 2395 Posts
Likes Given: 4450

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
My guess is , the white is hot & the switch leg is the black ( where they are feed from , I have no idea ) .

A non contact voltage tester should glow , on the hot . If neither is hot , you have to go investigate some where else in the house or garage .

( If you have a bare ground wire & it is connected properly , a contact volt meter will tell you if the white ot black is hot . )

God bless
Wyr
The OP thinks when you saw the house first it was a timer switch but when he moved in it was a reg. switch that did not work as wired. White to cluster of whites black switched.

He found 2 cables to the garage, one to a sub box.

The second to an outlet. inside that does not work. And no power to the lights in question..

He has used a fluke sounder that I think does send sound to the lights.

I am thinking like you that it is a switch leg coming from the garage but then we have to find where the power or neutral is interrupted.

The confusion for who ever disconnected the timer was with the white as the time likely needed a neutral to work.. I think.

Last edited by nealtw; 06-19-2017 at 01:43 AM.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:33 AM  
WyrTwister
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Well , first thing I would do is to fine the hor or multiple hots at the switch box . And NOT mess up anything that is currently working .

Make sure the light or lights in question had good lamps installed .

Using a contact voltage tester , test from the known hot to each unknown wire . Identify with marking tape , those that show a voltage .

Determine if there is a neutral or bare earth ground in the switch box . If so , test between it ( as a reference ) to any of the unknown wires , that not show a voltage when tested in reference to the known hot .

Identify any new hots found . Keep in mind that if you are dealing with a 3 way switch , you do not have this 100%m nailed down .

Report back .

God bless
Wyr