DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Remove and Cover Door Opening in 1894 Cottage

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:41 AM  
remout
Liked 40 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Remove and Cover Door Opening in 1894 Cottage

I have a cypress acadian cottage. The outside wall structure is, from in to out, 3/4" bead board>1" barge board>siding (no moisture barrier). I'm taking out an outside door and don't know what to put in place of the cypress barge board. I don't want to source antique barge board as it's very expensive and won't show. I have gotten some antique siding that matches well and have enough bead board to cover the inside.

I've been told the advantage of the original design is that the house breaths and should any moisture make it's was behind the siding, it drains out the bottom. Between the air flow and cypress's rot resistance it has stood the test of time. I live in the tropics of South Louisiana, heating is not a big deal, and the cottage sits under live oaks so it's very easy to cool.

What should I replace the barge board with in this thin wall?

Thanks!

nealtw Likes This 
Old 09-18-2017, 07:58 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2857 Times on 2507 Posts
Likes Given: 4733

Quote:
Originally Posted by remout View Post
I have a cypress acadian cottage. The outside wall structure is, from in to out, 3/4" bead board>1" barge board>siding (no moisture barrier). I'm taking out an outside door and don't know what to put in place of the cypress barge board. I don't want to source antique barge board as it's very expensive and won't show. I have gotten some antique siding that matches well and have enough bead board to cover the inside.

I've been told the advantage of the original design is that the house breaths and should any moisture make it's was behind the siding, it drains out the bottom. Between the air flow and cypress's rot resistance it has stood the test of time. I live in the tropics of South Louisiana, heating is not a big deal, and the cottage sits under live oaks so it's very easy to cool.

What should I replace the barge board with in this thin wall?

Thanks!
What are the measurement of the barge board?

remout Likes This 
Old 09-18-2017, 08:19 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1415 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 765

Your usage of the term barge board is different than what we call a barge board up north, where it is the end board covering the end of a gable. It sounds like what you are calling out is what we would call plank sheathing.

If it won’t show and you want 1” thickness and weather / water protection maybe 5/4 PT decking would work.

If you can post pictures it would help and also I think everyone would be interested to see this method of construction.
remout Likes This 
Old 09-18-2017, 08:57 AM  
remout

Barge Board, in these parts, is a rough hewn board measuring approx (very approx) 1" x 12" or so. They were used as planking on the Mississippi River barges, hence the name. They run vertically the height of the room. No effort was made to close the gaps between two adjoining boards where the sides butt up to each other. Or at least that's my version of the story.... you guys know I'm a beginner

I'll take some pics once I get it all apart.

Last edited by remout; 09-18-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:05 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

I have no idea how you attach anything but as bud said you can get wood that is a full 1" thick, may not be as wide. I suspect they were tight together and then dried out
If you can't find wood to match thickness you can get 1" plywood.
remout Likes This 
Old 09-21-2017, 11:14 AM  
remout

A pic of my old cottage so you understand the theme of the project

These barge boards run the height of the first floor plus a couple of feet into the loft. The only thing you can't see is the interior bead board. That's all there is to these walls.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:19 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
A pic of my old cottage so you understand the theme of the project

These barge boards run the height of the first floor plus a couple of feet into the loft. The only thing you can't see is the interior bead board. That's all there is to these walls.
How will you attach these boards? I guess if you repair the siding first and then add the barge boards behind that.
Or do the interior first.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:00 PM  
remout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
How will you attach these boards? I guess if you repair the siding first and then add the barge boards behind that.
Or do the interior first.
I ripped two 2 x 4s to the correct width to take up the space between my pressure treated plywood and where the inside side of the bead board will end up. I toe screwed the 2 x 4s in place on the bottom and on the top there was some barge board that I could attach to. I then nailed my plywood to these home made studs.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:33 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
I ripped two 2 x 4s to the correct width to take up the space between my pressure treated plywood and where the inside side of the bead board will end up. I toe screwed the 2 x 4s in place on the bottom and on the top there was some barge board that I could attach to. I then nailed my plywood to these home made studs.
Sounds like a plan.. Some stuff you just don't find in the books.

slownsteady Likes This