DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Appliance Discussion > How to drill hole to make a/c drain better?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:19 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2857 Times on 2507 Posts
Likes Given: 4733

They can fill with all kinds of guk and smell bad. Even with a drain hole it may want to be rinsed out some times.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:06 PM  
woodchuck
Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

some are designed like yours because they can be used in situations where the dripping water would cause a problem where it dripped. Yours is supposed to evaporate the water with the fan pulling air across it.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:29 PM  
farmerjohn1324
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
some are designed like yours because they can be used in situations where the dripping water would cause a problem where it dripped. Yours is supposed to evaporate the water with the fan pulling air across it.
So if I drilled a hole, this would cause a problem?

Old 10-06-2017, 08:31 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1415 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohn1324 View Post
Well obviously I wouldn't drill through the refrigerant tube.

Someone told me they design them that way so you have to buy a new one sooner.
They may well have what is called planned obsolescence in the product. I would think if they wanted to do that they would speck the motor or compressor to have a limited life and once they died you would have to buy another. Seems a strange way to make a product wear out would be omitting the drain hole and then designing a fan with a flinger ring attached to the fan and making it throw water on the hot coil cooling it and making the unit run more efficiently. They could have punched a hole and then the coils would collect dust and run hotter and people wouldn’t spray them out and the unit would die quicker.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:08 PM  
farmerjohn1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
They may well have what is called planned obsolescence in the product. I would think if they wanted to do that they would speck the motor or compressor to have a limited life and once they died you would have to buy another. Seems a strange way to make a product wear out would be omitting the drain hole and then designing a fan with a flinger ring attached to the fan and making it throw water on the hot coil cooling it and making the unit run more efficiently. They could have punched a hole and then the coils would collect dust and run hotter and people wouldn’t spray them out and the unit would die quicker.
Damn. I don't know what to do now. Would I be messing it up by drilling the hole?

Old 10-06-2017, 10:12 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1110 Times on 920 Posts
Likes Given: 1830

Let's take a better look at the actual problem. Is the water dripping into the wall or the house? Is it dripping out the back onto the ground? If so, is that causing a problem?

Old 10-07-2017, 04:47 AM  
farmerjohn1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
Let's take a better look at the actual problem. Is the water dripping into the wall or the house? Is it dripping out the back onto the ground? If so, is that causing a problem?
There is no "problem." It's a brand new unit that I'd like to get the most life out of.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:00 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1415 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 765

Do a google search on (Drilling drain hole air conditioner.) and you will find all the pro and con information and even you tube videos showing you how to do it. Others will tell you to make a wick out of a rag and shove it in the back and let it hang down and it will wick the water out and you don’t need to drill a hole. Some people will tell you to drill the hole if the unit is in your bedroom as the sound of the flinger catching in the water will keep you awake.

If you want a hole drill one. The design of the product is to not have a hole and to be installed at a slight angle sloping away from the window. The manufacture could have put a hole in at almost no cost. they omitted it because they feel it improves the units ability to cool the room. If you feel you know more than the company that designed it then add a hole. It wont change anything that you can notice in how well the unit runs. It willl just work a little harder.

The whole unit should be cleaned and serviced once a year, no one I know does that also.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:04 AM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1110 Times on 920 Posts
Likes Given: 1830

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Old 10-07-2017, 05:52 PM  
frodo

Liked 1187 Times on 930 Posts
Likes Given: 415

if the ac is installed correctly, there is no need to drill a hole

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum/...faq=supporting