DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > What Is The Best Toilet?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:33 PM  
SFLman
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If we had looked, we would have easily seen the problem. The material under the glaze is rough, dull and chalky.

After posting I did a search for this model, to see how it has been reviewed over the past few years. I had forgotten - t's named the Champion 4. Some people love it, but there are many frustrated and angry owners who report that this toilet "ghost" runs, and the problem doesn't go away when new parts are put in.

Apparently there' something that needs to match up when it is installed, and it is not obvious to people doing the fix that the replacement piece is notched, and has to be lined up when it is installed.

Even though some people are unhappy, I'm convinced its a really good toilet. In my new home, we will be replacing two toilets in the next few years, and I expect to choose this exact model of toilet, unless I see a taller one with good reviews.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:58 AM  
zannej

Liked 519 Times on 377 Posts
Likes Given: 3081

American Standard has some real turds out there. They either don't flush well or they splash when they flush. There are some decent ones, but I personally wouldn't get an AS toilet.

I've heard that Kohler is good.

I upgraded to the Toto Drake with SanaGloss (they are now calling the glaze CeFiONtect). It is great if you don't have a lot of sediment in your water. Most stuff (not all) slides right off and you don't have to clean as often. The Drake has a 3" drain so it flushes very well, but does not splash. The Drake II has a 2.5" drain and doesn't have as powerful of a flush, but it has a better bowl wash feature in terms of how the water sprays in the toilet. It is fairly close in flushing power to the original Drake. The Drake II is more expensive. The Drake I is probably one of the more affordable ones. The link I provided was just the first one from a google search. You could probably find it for less. I don't think they sell that model at Home Depot but the Toto website could say where to buy. I know Coburn's carries it.

I've had my Drake since 2008 and have only had to plunge it about 3 or 4 times (and that was because of problems with the plumbing-- not the toilet). The old toilet we would have to plunge at least twice a week.

If I didn't have well water with extremely high sediment (particularly iron), the gloss would probably be in better shape. The iron etched itself in and stained it-- still not as badly as the old toilet though.

TL : DR? My recommendation is a Toto Drake or Toto Drake II with Sanagloss / CeFiONtect. The bowl should have "SG" in the code to designate that it has that glaze.

greenlady0 Likes This 
Old 08-21-2016, 10:02 PM  
Chris

I didn't read all the replies but I have a danze 1.28 gpf and have had absolutely no issues with it. Comfy and takes any load you can give it. Been great for the few years I have lived here. Never a two flusher. Not sure if it is high end or low end but I know it is a great toilet from my experience.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:04 AM  
smith931
Banned
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's too late, I think. Hope it will be help you future to chose a toilet. For a recommendation, I can suggest you go with the TOTO. Its a far better than American Standard. It's the worst toilet I had ever use. Only diarrhea would go down that toilet without flushing twice. After that, I Replaced it with a Toto. The Toto has not had one problem. it has a quick flush and is less noisy than the American Standard.
It has really very high flushing capacity, For this reason, Toto toilets are known for not clogging as often as standard toilets. For this side, TOTOs are different from other toilets. Personally, I love their ideas. And I believe that everyone can be satisfied after using TOTOs.
People Like This 
Old 01-09-2018, 01:00 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned
Liked 176 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Over the years, Toto has shipped me new flush valves twice, for free.
So,
People Like This 
Old 01-10-2018, 07:29 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned
Liked 176 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 108

#13 in this thread shows

Chris

it's a pandemic!

Old 01-17-2018, 04:38 PM  
greenlady0
greenlady0
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I shopped online a couple of years ago and found a Toto for the same $ as the American standard although the list$ was for several hundred $ more...you will see their list $ varies from reasonable to insanely expensive all depends on features. love the Toto no problems at all even for a low flow the suction is excellent
People Like This 
Old 01-18-2018, 01:44 PM  
zannej

Liked 519 Times on 377 Posts
Likes Given: 3081

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlady0 View Post
I shopped online a couple of years ago and found a Toto for the same $ as the American standard although the list$ was for several hundred $ more...you will see their list $ varies from reasonable to insanely expensive all depends on features. love the Toto no problems at all even for a low flow the suction is excellent
Yeah, some of the prices have gone down a bit and now some of the big box stores will even price-match some of the online stores.
The original Toto Drake has a MaP rating of 1,000 and it takes a lot to clog it.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:50 PM  
Gary
Liked 235 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Taken from a photo forum I'm on....

The best (Toilet)..... is the 1 you have at the time.
People Like This 
Old 01-19-2018, 05:20 PM  
greenlady0
greenlady0
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

yes I agree the Drake with sani-gloss is what we have easy non required cleaning in the past 3 years love it flushes great too for a low flow

zannej Likes This