DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Tools > favorite / least favorite brand of tools

Old 02-21-2015, 10:32 AM  
mmb617

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

30 years ago when I bought tools Porter-Cable was always my first choice. Their stuff was heavy duty and USA made, although a bit pricey. But now they're part of Black and Decker and I'm sure the quality is nowhere near the same.

Lately I've been pretty happy with DeWalt tools, both corded and cordless. I have the 12v drill/driver set with Lithium Ion batteries and love the compact size while still having decent power for a 12v set. For heavier work I have the Craftsman 19.2v Li-Ion drill/driver set and it also has served me well. For even heavier work I break out my old Porter-Cable corded hammer drill, nothing stops that.

Another tool brand that I've been pleasantly surprised by is Worx. I bought their 18" electric chainsaw and it's far exceeded my expectations. I dropped and cut up 4 big walnut trees with this saw with no problem at all. I liked it so much that when we decided to buy a cordless weedeater I got the Worx 20v model, and it has also worked out quite well.

I'll have to agree with those who say you have to be careful what you buy at Harbor Freight. They do sell some real junk, but some of their stuff is a bargain when you look at the price. Something I use very infrequently, I'll chance HF, and sometimes the tool is better than I expected. When I was drilling the anchor holes for my lift I needed a big SDS hammer drill and bought one at HF for something like $70. I'd have spent almost that much to rent one, and it drilled the holes easily.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:06 AM  
thediyhubby
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For woodworking at home the drill press I prefer is Jet.
http://www.thediyhubby.com/drill-press-reviews/

When it comes to cordless drills Makita and Milwaukee are pretty good.
Not that keen on Ryobi.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:04 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png
Liked 148 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I am officially boycotting craftsman tools. I've been through several ratchets and on my last warranty return they gave a refurbished ratchet instead of a new one.
slownsteady Likes This 
Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 AM  
nealtw
Contractor
Liked 1400 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 2420

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
I am officially boycotting craftsman tools. I've been through several ratchets and on my last warranty return they gave a refurbished ratchet instead of a new one.
The last time I took one in they gave me a rebuild kit.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:55 AM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 370 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I am still holding a little hope for Craftsmen. I don't mind a refurbished ratchet since there is only about 2-3 moving parts in them. I haven't broken one in years, really since I learned what a breaker bar was and not to hammer or put a pipe on the end of a 3/8" ratchet. I have broken a lot of tools but I can't remember ever breaking one while using it properly.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:18 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I am still holding a little hope for Craftsmen. I don't mind a refurbished ratchet since there is only about 2-3 moving parts in them. I haven't broken one in years, really since I learned what a breaker bar was and not to hammer or put a pipe on the end of a 3/8" ratchet. I have broken a lot of tools but I can't remember ever breaking one while using it properly.
The gear will ware even if not abused. I quit years ago when the replacement wrenches and socket were the quality of the cheapest stuff on the market.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 AM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 370 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Maybe I need to wrench more? I have a few that I have had for 20 years and still work like new. I take mine apart from time to time to clean and oil them. I do have about five 3/8" Ratchets and couple 1/2" a couple 3/4" and a few 1/4". We use the 3/4" ones at work with breaker bars and in the mud and in six years haven't had to replace one yet. Maybe I just got lucky? I do have a bunch of Proto tools but they seem to be the same quality. I have Snap on but they seem over proud of their tools so its hard to fork out the money for them when my other tools suit me just fine.

What do you use yours for that they are failing? I always thought I was abusive to tools.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:37 PM  
frodo
Liked 441 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 183

only time i have ever broken a ratchet was when i put a cheater bar on it.

Some people are like a Slinky-not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:34 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

I don't use them much anymore but I have spent alot of time under the hood of a car or ten. Never broke one the 3/8 gears worn out a few times. The cheaper ones have less teeth on the gear, not good in tight spaces but the gears last longer.