DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > One Room Always Cold

Old 12-19-2016, 06:05 PM  
VanMark
Established Member
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default One Room Always Cold

I have a 1500 square foot ranch style bungalow with a finished basement. It is heated with a natural gas furnace. One room on the opposite side for furnace is always cold. I tried blocking registers that blew heat down into basement hoping it would increase flow upstairs but that didnt help.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:16 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2397 Times on 2111 Posts
Likes Given: 4003

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMark View Post
I have a 1500 square foot ranch style bungalow with a finished basement. It is heated with a natural gas furnace. One room on the opposite side for furnace is always cold. I tried blocking registers that blew heat down into basement hoping it would increase flow upstairs but that didnt help.
Do you get any air flow in that room now, is there room under the door for air to get out of the room and back to the return.
Poor location of return air can have something to do with it.
Framing in basement can make it difficult to run ducts, beams and such can make the installer add to many elbows making the duct act like it much longer than it is.
Any way you could add a return air vent to that room.
Return air usually runs between floor joists if you can figure where it is and if a wall crosses it, it gets easy.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:13 PM  
joecaption
Established Member
Liked 167 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Not enough info,
How much insulation in the attic, walls and floor?
How are the ducts ran?
Got some pictures so we can see what your seeing?

Old 12-19-2016, 07:33 PM  
madrussian
Established Member
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I would bet insulation is incomplete somewhere. I have a 2-story 2300sq ft home, with a furnace for each floor. The master bedroom is terrible; it has a 15 or 18 ft vaulted ceiling. Seems insulation is complete in the attic - I need to get a thermography scanner from work to scan the exterior walls - I suspect a section was missed at some point.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:43 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2397 Times on 2111 Posts
Likes Given: 4003

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrussian View Post
I would bet insulation is incomplete somewhere. I have a 2-story 2300sq ft home, with a furnace for each floor. The master bedroom is terrible; it has a 15 or 18 ft vaulted ceiling. Seems insulation is complete in the attic - I need to get a thermography scanner from work to scan the exterior walls - I suspect a section was missed at some point.
All your heat is in the upper portion of the room, a ceiling fan would help.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:35 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1203 Times on 962 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Take a tissue or a piece of yarn and hold it in front of the register, compare this to the other rooms to see if there is a restriction in the supply line somewhere. Could be a previous owner restricted the flow somehow or a damper has been shut down.