DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Improper plumbing & trying to remodel bathroom/laundry

Old 12-15-2016, 07:42 PM  
zannej

Liked 436 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 2512

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Broad side is a good way of saying it. A couple nails into or thru each stud. It really doesn't have to be all that tight. It is like a great big anchor behind the dry wall.
Ok. that makes sense.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:20 AM  
frodo

Liked 1062 Times on 837 Posts
Likes Given: 379

put the center of the boarrd where you need it. then if your off a little bit you will still hit wood

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum/...faq=supporting
zannej Likes This 
Old 12-25-2016, 11:17 PM  
zannej

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo View Post
put the center of the boarrd where you need it. then if your off a little bit you will still hit wood
Good idea. I was thinking of going with some 2x10s or something just to give more room for error or adjustment of height for the grab bars. My mother is 5'6" so I will have to figure out the best spot for them-- although, likely it will be a matter of having her stand somewhere and have her put her arm out and see what is comfortable for her.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:04 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1041 Times on 859 Posts
Likes Given: 1708

That's right. Observe her getting in and out and put the handles where they need to be. You may need one on the outside also, if that helps.
zannej Likes This 
Old 12-26-2016, 07:42 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2663 Times on 2338 Posts
Likes Given: 4386

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej View Post
Good idea. I was thinking of going with some 2x10s or something just to give more room for error or adjustment of height for the grab bars. My mother is 5'6" so I will have to figure out the best spot for them-- although, likely it will be a matter of having her stand somewhere and have her put her arm out and see what is comfortable for her.
2x10 is a great idea and when in doubt put more in, take a photo so you can find them easy later.
zannej Likes This 
Old 12-29-2016, 12:07 AM  
zannej

Quote:
2x10 is a great idea and when in doubt put more in, take a photo so you can find them easy later.
Photo is a good idea. I plan to put some marks on the walls surrounding the tub-- maybe with painter's tape-- to make sure I know where they are.

The surround I plan to get can come with built-in-backers, but even the ones that don't of that model can have grab bars if there are boards behind it. It's one of the Sterling direct-to-stud surrounds. I looked at some of the Maax ones but they need to be over drywall but there isn't enough space to add something as thick as drywall. We have thin fugly wood panels with green stripes printed on them.

I'll have more leeway with the laundry area tub since it will be built fresh.

In a bit of good news, I befriended a really nice guy who is a carpenter and he offered to come over and look at the floor joist under my bathroom that some idiot notched out for the tub P-trap. He's going to see what needs to be done to reinforce it.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:51 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Photo is a good idea. I plan to put some marks on the walls surrounding the tub-- maybe with painter's tape-- to make sure I know where they are.

The surround I plan to get can come with built-in-backers, but even the ones that don't of that model can have grab bars if there are boards behind it. It's one of the Sterling direct-to-stud surrounds. I looked at some of the Maax ones but they need to be over drywall but there isn't enough space to add something as thick as drywall. We have thin fugly wood panels with green stripes printed on them.

I'll have more leeway with the laundry area tub since it will be built fresh.

In a bit of good news, I befriended a really nice guy who is a carpenter and he offered to come over and look at the floor joist under my bathroom that some idiot notched out for the tub P-trap. He's going to see what needs to be done to reinforce it.
All the tubs we see up here go to the studs nothing behind them but studs.
Notched floor joist. remove plumbing ,sister new joist to old and if the plumbing needs to go back drill a hole in the middle third .
zannej Likes This 
Old 03-02-2017, 11:09 AM  
zannej

This is a photo of the notched joist (on the left). It looks like they hardly have anything left of that section of the joist.

I'm going to have to figure out where the wall above there is so I can add a vent- currently there isn't one.

Meanwhile, it occurred to me that I was approaching the toilet venting the wrong way-- I kept thinking of wet venting or seeing if the north wall was less than 6' away so I could vent it at that point-- then I realized that I can run it to the closer interior wall and have the drain part merge with the horizontal part of the waste pipe for the lavatory. Instead of running the lav in to the exterior wall, I can bump the sink forward just a bit to give me some space to run the P-trap sideways instead of back.

I did run in to one main issue-- and that was figuring out the best way to reduce the toilet vent to 2". I tried to no avail to locate a tee that had the side and bottom at 3" but the top at 2" so I was thinking of using a reducing coupling after the top of the 3" tee.

Here is a revised sketch of the bathroom concept:

Here is is marked up with the lines to represent the plumbing (I suck at perspective so the stuff on the left side that is supposed to go in to the attic is screwy looking).

And here is my general concept of the parts to use and how they will be positioned. I didn't doublecheck it so I might have made some typos.

What do you think?

Any suggestions?

I'm debating whether or not to save pipe and space by just punching a hole in the exterior wall to put the vent for toilet and lav and routing it around the soffit-- but I don't like the idea of putting holes in exterior walls.

Last edited by zannej; 03-02-2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: forgot something in image & had to edit

Old 03-02-2017, 12:08 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
This is a photo of the notched joist (on the left). It looks like they hardly have anything left of that section of the joist.

I'm going to have to figure out where the wall above there is so I can add a vent- currently there isn't one.
I see your cut joist but if you look to the right it looks like you are missing one.
which might give you reason to think you have a very thick sub floor.
Anyway just sistering one on the side of that that one would fix it right up.
zannej Likes This 
Old 03-02-2017, 12:20 PM  
zannej

Quote:
I see your cut joist but if you look to the right it looks like you are missing one.
which might give you reason to think you have a very thick sub floor.
Anyway just sistering one on the side of that that one would fix it right up.
What is normal thickness for a subfloor?
Thanks.

There are some places where the floor sinks down and other places where it pokes up-- There is a lump just going in to my mother's room that feels like a joist slipped off of a support and that the support is pressing directly against the floor or something.

The house is pretty much up on triangular cement blocks with what looks like some cut wood logs for some of the supports. It's a Mickey Mouse job.

When the floor in my mother's bathroom broke, the subfloor did not appear to be very thick. The floor above the missing joist has some sort of subfloor and then a black plastic barrier and then some sort of plywood of a thickness I don't think they make anymore (less than 1/2" but I think more than 1/4"-- but maybe it just sort of expanded with time due to moisture).

When I sister the cut joist-- can I sister on the opposite side of the plumbing so it won't interfere with any plumbing modifications or repairs later on?