DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Appliance Discussion > Treadmill Repair

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:31 AM  
Sparky617
Liked 262 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I ventured out into the cold and ice last night to the local Lowe's store and wandered about looking for solutions. I wound up using 3/4" birch plywood, handily cut into a 2x4 panel and a piece of "markerboard wainscotting" it is masonite with a dry erase coating on it. The whole set up is a bit thicker than the original particle board but it doesn't appear to interfere with the belt.

I set out to check out a piece of post form countertop that was on clearance per the website. 6' piece for $11, but I couldn't find the one piece they were supposed to have in stock. I would have been able to get enough width out of the post form stuff, but I think I would have needed to reinforce it on the bottom. Based on my experience with the original particle board base I don't think it would have lasted for the life of the other components. I have it back together now, with the exception of the trim pieces. The total cost of the project was $40. I used contact cement to glue the masonite panel to the plywood.

I'm not familiar with textured Arborite. I would think anything with much of a texture on it would cause premature wear on the walking/running belt. After I posted I see that Arborite is another name for laminate. Two main brands here are Wilsonart and Formica.

Last edited by Sparky617; 01-09-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:57 AM  
Sparky617

I did some web searching today and found a replacement deck from the manufacturer. $126 plus shipping! That is some expensive quarter sheet of particle board. Given that the original broke with my running on it, I think I made the right call in making my own replacement. The deck replacement was fully 1/4 of the cost of a new one of the same model.

People Like This 
Old 01-10-2017, 08:54 AM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1132 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 1848

If you can remember to, update in a few months and let us know how well it stands up. I would be curious.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 AM  
Sparky617

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
If you can remember to, update in a few months and let us know how well it stands up. I would be curious.
I will if I remember. I moved the treadmill to my bonus room where I work from home. So it will be getting more use going forward. I took advantage of the crappy weekend weather we had in NC to do some projects around the house that I had been putting off. Repairing the treadmill was one of them.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:54 AM  
frodo

Liked 1198 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 415

MANNNNNNNNN.....why are you fixing the treadmill ? damit man,
you are supposed to put the thing on the curb for the trash man, and i come along and scarf it up.
To make

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum/...faq=supporting

Old 01-28-2017, 05:18 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1382 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 403

Link didn't work Frodo.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:52 PM  
kok328
Liked 241 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo View Post
MANNNNNNNNN.....why are you fixing the treadmill ? damit man,

you are supposed to put the thing on the curb for the trash man, and i come along and scarf it up.

To make

http://https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3c380z_brass-tumbler-3-001_sport

Agreed. I'm the proud owner of a lightly used $1200 elliptical that was sitting curb side. I found that the tension/idler pulley was shot. Managed to fabricate a replacement for nothing and away we go.
So now it sits next to the tread mill that someone wanted but doesn't use.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:08 AM  
Sparky617

I would be out there gathering up the cast-offs myself. Three weeks of use and the markerboard wainscotting is holding up well, no signs of wear. It is definitely more solid than the particle board I replaced.