DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > Drop Ceiling or Drywall ceiling in basement

Old 01-25-2015, 12:28 PM  
ToeJoe
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Drop Ceiling or Drywall ceiling in basement

Which is better to have in basement a drop ceiling or a drywall ceiling?

I was going with a drop ceiling and thought it over and it would cost me less to put a drywall ceiling up.

Any comments are helpful.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:33 PM  
mako1

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts

Depends on what's in the ceiling.For one,you have to have access to any junction boxes .How about heat ducts.A drop ceiling can go below these where you will have to build bulkheads if installing drywall.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:44 PM  
kok328
Liked 238 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 111

IMO drop ceilings are better in that they allow you to access electrical, ductwork, plumbing and cabling at a later date without having to repair the drywall after you open it up to address and issue/additions with the above mentioned utilities.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:41 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2727 Times on 2398 Posts
Likes Given: 4451

I am a firm beleiver in fire rated ceilings so it would be drywall for me but as mentioned you do not want to hide juntion boxes, plumbing clean outs or valves. And as mentioned about the bulkheads unless you want the whole ceiling to be below the level of heat ducts, I would still built the boxes.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:01 AM  
Sparky617
Liked 170 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I prefer smooth finished drywall. I can patch it if I ever need to access plumbing. Heat ducts shouldn't need access with the exception of replacing the furnace. The furnace area should allow enough access to connect the new furnace without cutting drywall. I have plumbing and electrical in my first floor ceiling and it's drywall.

ALL junction boxes need to come through the ceiling, none can be buried in the ceiling. If you have a shut off valve you can install an access panel to allow you to have access to the valve. You could do the same with a plumbing clean out.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 AM  
ToeJoe
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have rewired the whole house about 2 years ago and the duck work would be OK, junction boxes are OK also not behind any drywall. The only thing would be the canister lights which has to come through ceiling.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:14 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2727 Times on 2398 Posts
Likes Given: 4451

Two types, the box is already installed, you need something like a roto zip for cutting drywall around boxes. Or the type that you just leave the wire loose and cut a hole later and install the can.
You also want to check the framing beside wall that run in the same direction as the joists, someties you have to add backing.
Do you know how to build drops around duct work?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:23 AM  
beachguy005
Established Member
Liked 311 Times on 259 Posts

I think the only thing drop ceilings are good for is future access above them and if you want a fancy tile. They are more expensive and require a fair amount of labor to install correctly. Easy to mess with and damage once installed.
Drywall is an easier and quicker DIY job. Cost is a lot lower. Patching is cheaper than buying a new tile. You can install either new or old work down lights.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:25 PM  
Sparky617
Liked 170 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJoe View Post
I have rewired the whole house about 2 years ago and the duck work would be OK, junction boxes are OK also not behind any drywall. The only thing would be the canister lights which has to come through ceiling.
If you use an old work can you can actually remove it since it is clipped to the drywall ceiling after it is installed. You run a loop of wire to each location you want to put a can and then cut the can in after the ceiling is installed. Alternatively make sure you test your cans before you close the ceiling because accessing them after the fact can be a real PITA.

That said, look at this LED can light replacement. They'll mount to a regular round ceiling box, no can required. They can be installed in a can, but they don't require one and a ceiling box is a lot cheaper than a can.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-5-in...0WHR/204732243

Old 01-26-2015, 07:03 PM  
GBR
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png
Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Any gas fittings in the ceiling you need to leave access for?

Gary

nealtw Likes This