DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Cleaning > bathroom shower

Old 03-09-2015, 05:20 AM  
courtroom74

Likes Given: 3

Default bathroom shower

Preparing house for sale. Any one has suggestion to clean the shower grout? I'm also open to replace the grout if I can remove it without replacing the tiles.
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:15 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1232 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Have you tried CLR and some elbow grease?

Old 03-09-2015, 06:32 AM  
courtroom74

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Have you tried CLR and some elbow grease?
Yes, CLR. OxiClean, baking Soda. Used a drill with soft brush attachment to give much more 'elbow grease'. My next thought was to use utility knife to get the grout out, or use vibrating tool (may not be able to find a very thin blade). I'm sure there's a easier way to removing bathroom/shower grout before replacing tiles.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:24 AM  
CallMeVilla
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 584 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 244

You have options ! First, if the grout is really gross it will hurt your sales price, so commit to fixing this. Second, you can use elbow grease with a grout saw to score and/or remove the grout. I see this for spot removal, not an entire shower. It is ugly work.

Third, a multi-tool with a grout attachment will make the job MUCH easier. You can get a cheap version of this tool at Harbor Freight or on Craigslist. Use it, re-sell it, get most of your money back. Re-grout, re-seal the grout, enjoy the profits.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Jo...8600/202672276
People Like This 
Old 03-09-2015, 07:35 AM  
courtroom74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeVilla View Post
You have options ! First, if the grout is really gross it will hurt your sales price, so commit to fixing this. Second, you can use elbow grease with a grout saw to score and/or remove the grout. I see this for spot removal, not an entire shower. It is ugly work.

Third, a multi-tool with a grout attachment will make the job MUCH easier. You can get a cheap version of this tool at Harbor Freight or on Craigslist. Use it, re-sell it, get most of your money back. Re-grout, re-seal the grout, enjoy the profits.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Jo...8600/202672276
Thanks for the suggestion, that sounds good. I already have the cheap version of multi-tool from HF. Not sure there's an attachment specially for grout removal, or are there? Or should I use the scraper attachment for this task?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:03 AM  
CallMeVilla
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 584 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Yes, there is such an attachment. This is THE tool for your job.

You can LIKE me now.
courtroom74 Likes This 
Old 03-09-2015, 10:12 AM  
beachguy005
Established Member
Liked 310 Times on 259 Posts

Consider this, if it's really bad, but you have to be a bit careful. My house showers hadn't been cleaned in years and I tried lots of things. Given that they were 4x4 tiles I didn't want to tool out the grout. I had been retiling the floors and had used muriatic acid to etch them. I used the Green Safer Muriatic Acid from HD which is mixed with water in a garden sprayer. Out of curiosity I sprayed some on the stained grout and it worked like a charm.
Cleaned, rinsed and resealed. Looks like new. You do need to be careful as it can etch metal, so cover your valves and such with plastic. And heed all warnings on the label, especially ventilation in a small space.
Try a small area on your tile to make sure it doesn't damage them. It was no issue on mine.
courtroom74 Likes This 
Old 03-09-2015, 11:07 AM  
courtroom74

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy005 View Post
Consider this, if it's really bad, but you have to be a bit careful. My house showers hadn't been cleaned in years and I tried lots of things. Given that they were 4x4 tiles I didn't want to tool out the grout. I had been retiling the floors and had used muriatic acid to etch them. I used the Green Safer Muriatic Acid from HD which is mixed with water in a garden sprayer. Out of curiosity I sprayed some on the stained grout and it worked like a charm.
Cleaned, rinsed and resealed. Looks like new. You do need to be careful as it can etch metal, so cover your valves and such with plastic. And heed all warnings on the label, especially ventilation in a small space.
Try a small area on your tile to make sure it doesn't damage them. It was no issue on mine.
Ok, I like this idea as well. I already have muriatic acid at home, left over from doing drive way few years back. My grout is not that bad, but because it is "not up-to-date from styling perspective", a clean (well kept) look would help for sure. I'll try this first before I use the tool (already order 1/16" blade) to remove grout as it's more work.