DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > HVAC > TRANE XE90 getting no power, no red light

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:45 AM  
reap70
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default TRANE XE90 getting no power, no red light

I would like to start off by saying I'm not a complete dumbass, but I might have done a dumbass thing to my furnace.

Well, we just kicked on the heat for the first time this year and the furnace was blowing out cool air, probably more like room temperature air. I went down and looked at it this morning half asleep and cold without my contact lenses in yet and moved my high limit switch to where it threw a spark then my furnace quit blowing air. I went back to look at it a couple hours later, this time with my brain functioning. I checked the "blinking red light" so I could look up the code and the blinking red light is not blinking or coming on at all. I looked it up and the code is CHECK POWER. I flipped the circuit breaker off/on, it was fine, and went back to the furnace where I flipped the power switch off/on a few times. I noticed a very low humming noise like something is getting power. Just to be thorough, I turned off the thermostat and checked again. This time, as expected, there was no humming noise and still no blinking red light.

Right now, I have the thermostat off and will leave off for a few hours before checking again (is there a certain amount of time I should wait? I read to leave off a few hours so I'm trying it). If this doesn't do anything, any ideas? Thanks in advance! I will do some more searching in the meantime to see if I can find any ideas myself.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:56 AM  
reap70
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Update : Getting slow blinking red light! Going to check with thermostat. Will update in a few.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:06 PM  
reap70
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

UPDATE #2 : OK, back to where I was in the first place. Finally get to see the code I am getting and I am getting 4 flashes, which means OPEN HIGH LIMIT DEVICE. I'll look around for this, but if anyone wants to chime in, you are welcome to! Thanks again for the great help! LOL

Old 11-13-2015, 12:12 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2830 Times on 2484 Posts
Likes Given: 4661

Welcome to the site.
I found this video. The hum might br the fan motor, but I am no expert on this stuff.
reap70 Likes This 
Old 11-13-2015, 12:34 PM  
reap70
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

FINAL UPDATE : It was limit switch. Just needed to bang it on the concrete floor a few times to get it to work. It's an annual thing, so once I got power back, I figured I could figure it out.

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE GREAT HELP EVERYONE!!! HAHA!!!
nealtw Likes This 
Old 11-13-2015, 12:36 PM  
reap70
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry Nealtw, didn't see your post. I thought I was the only one who replied. Thank you for your reply!

Old 11-13-2015, 02:01 PM  
reap70
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

FINAL FINAL UPDATE (I HOPE ) : OK, it's NOW officially blowing out HOT AIR!!! For some reason, the gas valve switch was in the OFF position! I guess I should have checked the obvious possible solution instead of "Pavlov doggin'" it!

NOW I DO BELIEVE IT'S TIME FOR !
nealtw Likes This 
Old 11-15-2015, 09:56 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1095 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

Welcome Reap70. Sorry we couldn't help you more on your first thread. Glad you worked it out.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:34 PM  
reap70
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default No power again!!!

Well, I'm back to getting no power to the furnace. Since the last time I chimed in, here is what has been going on.

1. About 2 months ago, I was getting 3 blinking lights, which is a pressure switch error. The furnace would try to start and quit. It would repeat this like 5 times before giving up for a while, then after a few minutes, it would go through this cycle again. I noticed the (intake fan?) was rattling and getting worse. If I would bang on it a few times, it would eventually quiet and the furnace would run. I did this until I replaced it.

2. Things were working fine until about 10 days ago when it would give me the 3 blinking light code again, but I could get it going again. It did this a few times until 5 days ago, the furnace died. It's getting NO POWER AT ALL! No blinking codes, no trying to start, nothing! Since then, I replaced the circuit board (no improvement), bypassed the door switch (took the wires off the door switch and connected them together with a piece of metal), checked the filters (they were cleaned a couple months back), checked circuit breakers which are fine, checked the power at the on/off switch on the side of the furnace and it IS GETTING POWER (it runs to a power outlet and I plugged in a lamp. flipping the switch turns the lamp on/off).

So it looks like the power problem is between the power outlet where the lamp is plugged in (last place I can verify power) and the door switch? (I'm guessing that would be the place power would run before the circuit board?) Like I said, I'm not an expert, but I am mechanically inclined and I don't want to go messing with stuff I don't know about without advice. So my question is, where can it be between the power outlet and the door switch, if that is correct? Also, would your solution target the pressure switch error?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Old 02-08-2016, 04:49 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2830 Times on 2484 Posts
Likes Given: 4661

Your outlet goes out when you turn the furnace off, Does the furnace plug in there too, If yes, move the lamp plug to the other side of the outlet, if it is wired in to that box, open it up and check the connections????
I would think the power would stay on the outlet, so you could have a split outlet with a problem.