DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > HVAC > TRANE XE90 getting no power, no red light

Old 02-08-2016, 08:41 PM  
buffalo
Liked 49 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 120

First you say you have no power. Did you check with a volt meter or glow light ? When You open the bottom door there is a junction box , check there. Are wire nuts or connections tight?

Next , your trouble code . You have a high effiency furnace , it has a draft inducer motor. That could be bad , the pressure switch could be bad , the intake or exhaust vents could be obstructed.
http://homerepair.about.com/od/heati...ure-Switch.htm

Old 02-09-2016, 07:48 AM  
reap70
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 14

@Neal, No the furnace doesn't plug into this outlet. The on/off switch runs to the outlet and nothing is normally plugged into it, but the top plug in works, but the bottom one doesn't. Hasn't since I can remember. There is also some kind of attachment on the bottom of the outlet that runs to the humidifier too.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:52 AM  
reap70
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

@buffalo, can you post a picture of the junction box? Not sure what it is. And I bet the pressure switch is bad. I had some kind of problem with it in the past and hitting the switch is what got my furnace to kick on recently.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:50 PM  
buffalo
Liked 49 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 120

It's just an electrical box. Power from your electric panel goes into the furnace . Inside there is a box that ties your Rome wire in with your furnace wires.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:19 PM  
reap70
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I took some pics if this helps. Can you tell me what I need to look into?

#1 This is the outlet on the side of the furnace. The part attached to the bottom has wires leading to a condensation control.

#2 Is this the junction box on the inside where the outlet is?

#3 The pressure switch which I took down when I put the fan in.

#4 I got a new fan about a month ago. The old one was very noisy so I thought it was the problem.

Last edited by reap70; 02-10-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:20 PM  
reap70
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here are some more.

#5 Upper area.

#6 Center area.

#7 Bottom area. I just replaced the control box.

#8 What is this small box? It's in the bottom area.

Last edited by reap70; 02-10-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:35 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2760 Times on 2426 Posts
Likes Given: 4529

So when you turn the breaker off for the furnace you lose power to that outlet too?
So turn off the furnace breaker and remove the cover pull the screws on the outlet and just pull it out so you can see how it is wired and wire colors, then open the box on the inside and see how those wire are attached in there.
The second set of pictures are not showing up??
reap70 Likes This 
Old 02-10-2016, 05:30 PM  
reap70
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have an on/off switch that goes to the outlet.

I will try what you said and try to take good pictures or else let you know in writing. What do I need to do with this information? Or are you walking me through some steps to diagnose? The furnace has been running for years without any major problems and I didn't do anything other than change the intake fan and control box (3 times in the past 10 years, but this time, it probably didn't need changed).

Also, are the second set of pics showing up yet? In #8, is that the junction box? Well off to do what you suggested. I'll let you know the results soon! Thanks a million for the help!

Old 02-10-2016, 05:36 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2760 Times on 2426 Posts
Likes Given: 4529

You getting power to the switch and the outlet, and don't appear to have power at the furnace, so the simple would be to think with vibration some wire may have come loose.
Buffalo was thinking I think that you were not getting power in there and if the power goes thru the outlet box then you check both???

Old 02-10-2016, 10:23 PM  
reap70
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

@Neal, I checked the ones I could get to and tightened everything up, but nothing was really loose. Below is what I did with pictures.

Quote:
So turn off the furnace breaker and remove the cover pull the screws on the outlet and just pull it out so you can see how it is wired and wire colors

Here is what I have.

1. Coming into the outlet from the on/off switch are 3 wires, white, black, and green.
a. The white wire runs to the upper left side screw,
b. The black wire runs to the upper right screw,
c. The green wire runs into a screw cap, which runs into the hole in the back of the outlet into the furnace (junction box?). Inside the box, it is grounded with a small screw.
2. There are 2 wires, a white one running from the lower left side screw to the box at the bottom of the outlet, and a black one which runs from the hole in the back of the outlet from the junction box into box at the bottom of the outlet.
3. Finally, there are 5 wires running into the hole in the back of the outlet (that runs into the box inside the furnace). They are...
a. the green wire explained above in 1c.
b. a white wire which runs from the lower left side screw to the control box plug in "LINE-N" aka "E7"
c. black #1 runs from the upper right side screw to the door switch
d. black #2 runs from the lower right side screw to the control box plug in "EAC-H" aka "E18"
e. black #3 runs from box under the outlet to the control box plug in "HUM-H" aka "E28"

So now what? LOL