DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Why does my pool remain green after multiple shock treatments?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:03 PM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 676 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Because of the west coast water shortage, Leslie's pool supply no longer advocate draining all your water, and most recommend only dumping out half the water at a time. I don't think you are worried about the pool caving in, but a pool will heave upward with a high water table. Draining only half the water will stop all heaving. If you are worried about power use, you have only one option, filling the hole with dirt. Even ponds need to run a pump to circulate the water.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:32 AM  
elbo
Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 43

since you're concerned with the water table being high enough to cause the pool to heave, here's how to determine if you have a high water table
Get a 10 ft section of 1.5 dia pvc an glue an adapter to one end that will allow you to connect a water hose to it . hold the pipe vertical to the ground with the open end to the ground , and turn on the water. The water pressure will wash away the dirt from around the pvc pipe and it will gradually work itself into the ground
Once you get about 9 ft of it into the ground, turn off the water and disconnect the hose, cut off the fitting so that you have a straight pipe into the ground, then get a piece or rope with a weight attached and while holding onto the free end of the rope, drop the weighted end into the pipe. mark the rope where it enters the pipe and withdraw it, measure from the top of where the rope is wet to the marked place.
If the dry area measurement is 5 ft or more then you have no worries of the pool popping out of the ground.

bud16415 Likes This 
Old 09-18-2016, 12:04 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1434 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbo View Post
since you're concerned with the water table being high enough to cause the pool to heave, here's how to determine if you have a high water table
Get a 10 ft section of 1.5 dia pvc an glue an adapter to one end that will allow you to connect a water hose to it . hold the pipe vertical to the ground with the open end to the ground , and turn on the water. The water pressure will wash away the dirt from around the pvc pipe and it will gradually work itself into the ground
Once you get about 9 ft of it into the ground, turn off the water and disconnect the hose, cut off the fitting so that you have a straight pipe into the ground, then get a piece or rope with a weight attached and while holding onto the free end of the rope, drop the weighted end into the pipe. mark the rope where it enters the pipe and withdraw it, measure from the top of where the rope is wet to the marked place.
If the dry area measurement is 5 ft or more then you have no worries of the pool popping out of the ground.
I knew an old timer that used to claim jetting a pipe in the ground like that relieved the underground pressure of the water. He would go around jetting these pipes along a foundation wall that had a leak and the leak would go away or lessen. I never was quite sure if he was on to something or not but people claimed it worked.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:16 PM  
elbo

after I moved from Miami to Tampa, I tried to get a contractor to sink a 2 inch irrigation well. None were willing to do anything less than 4 inch with an accompanying price hike (of course ) I read an article on how to jet a shallow well , and decided to try it. It worked, and except for the cost of the pump , cost very little

Old 09-18-2016, 01:18 PM  
farmerjohn1324
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is an awesome way to drill a well.

Do they make well points with holes in them? That would make it even better.

https://goo.gl/images/tEZD1B

Old 09-18-2016, 01:56 PM  
elbo

I forgot to mention that you will have to wait until the water in the pipe from jetting it drains before you take that measurement. Google drilling or jetting a shallow well , lots of info there
Did you ever get the pool straightened out ?

Old 09-18-2016, 10:29 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1129 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 1846

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohn1324 View Post
That is an awesome way to drill a well.

Do they make well points with holes in them? That would make it even better.

https://goo.gl/images/tEZD1B
Unless, of course, you happen to be right over a rock.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:45 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 72 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Unless, of course, you happen to be right over a rock.
Yes and I will add that everyplace is different when it comes to putting in a shallow well. If your really serious about doing one, I recommend going to Mikes site: http://www.drillyourownwell.com/
I have been a Well Driller since 1958 and wouldn't advise using just one method.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:02 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2914 Times on 2555 Posts
Likes Given: 4800

http://www.truetex.com/poolcontrol.htm

Old 09-22-2016, 10:28 AM  
elbo

After having 3 pages of responses to farmerjohns problem, it would be nice if he posted what he did to resolve the problem, including photos, Unfortunately, so many people ask for help with their problems but never give any feed back

bud16415 Likes This