DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > HVAC > Electric Radiant Floor Heating in Bath

Old 11-17-2016, 02:39 PM  
aNYCdb
Established Member
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Electric Radiant Floor Heating in Bath

In my last post I was asking about replacing a missing cast iron radiator (which seemed more expensive than I was thinking). I wanted see what people thought of the following.

1. Replace the missing radiator with an identically size one from the bathroom.
2. Remove the bathroom from the loop.
3. Install electric radiant flooring.

My thought is that it would kill two birds it would let me continue to use the existing cast iron radiators, plus it would allow me to independently control the temperature in the bathroom, potentially keeping it warmer in there for comfort and giving more flexability in avoiding freezing risk when we aren't there.

Thoughts? Does anyone have experience with electric radiant heading? If so are there specific brands or installation methods that are preferable (using a mat vs. heating wire)?

Old 11-17-2016, 03:07 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2522 Times on 2217 Posts
Likes Given: 4221

I have used this one with the wire in mesh, cut the mesh so I could shape it to cover just the foot path in an odd shaped bathroom.
http://www.alekoproducts.ca/electric...home-a/319.htm

Old 11-17-2016, 04:50 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1008 Times on 834 Posts
Likes Given: 1658

Any clue where the old radiator went? Is the pipe capped at that location? If you fired up the boiler, were there any leaks at the missing radiator and were there any radiators down-stream of the missing one?

Old 11-17-2016, 06:04 PM  
aNYCdb
Established Member
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
Any clue where the old radiator went? Is the pipe capped at that location? If you fired up the boiler, were there any leaks at the missing radiator and were there any radiators down-stream of the missing one?
No idea where it went, it's valved on both ends so it won't leak, but it also means there's no return. I'm planning on dry firing the boiler this weekend just to make sure it works, but I'm not filling it with water until I've plugged most of the issues. In addition to the missing radiator I also have a couple of burst pipes and joints I need to fix.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:06 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1008 Times on 834 Posts
Likes Given: 1658

Just a thought but, if you sold the old radiators, you could put that into the cost of a modern replacement system.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:15 AM  
aNYCdb
Established Member
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
I have used this one with the wire in mesh, cut the mesh so I could shape it to cover just the foot path in an odd shaped bathroom.
http://www.alekoproducts.ca/electric...home-a/319.htm
How much coverage did you do relative to the size of the bathroom? Does it keep the bathroom warm or did you do it more for the comfort on the feet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
Just a thought but, if you sold the old radiators, you could put that into the cost of a modern replacement system.
I'm not sure that they are worth that much (they sure are expensive to replace).

Last edited by aNYCdb; 11-18-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:50 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2522 Times on 2217 Posts
Likes Given: 4221

[QUOTE=aNYCdb;161120]How much coverage did you do relative to the size of the bathroom? Does it keep the bathroom warm or did you do it more for the comfort on the feet?

It was a bottom floor apartment with the bathroom stuffed up against 2 concrete walls that never had heat. So we were just adding foot warmer and selling feature and it did just that.
Tiny and odd shape, we bought the smallest mat if you could call it that and made it work so there would be heat in front of the (toilet, tub) and over to in front of the vanity.

I think if you were counting on heating the room full coverage would be needed.