DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > HVAC > can't stop the heat

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:54 AM  
Phippst
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default can't stop the heat

Hello,
I am new to this group. I have a problem with the heat in my house and cannot turn it off. I have 5 zones. One zone will not cool down. I don't have a leak. I have had a plumber, leak detection service, and now heating group (HVAC)working on this. New flow valves, new circulation pump. With thermostat at 50, room is 80. We are tearing our hair out. Seems like if one zone is calling for heat, this zone heats up. Believe they checked the wiring. We cannot get under house to see whether it is piped incorrectly.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:33 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2944 Times on 2580 Posts
Likes Given: 4848

Welcome to the site, is this a new problem? Why can't you get under?

Phippst Likes This 
Old 11-28-2016, 07:34 PM  
kok328
Liked 241 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 113

unless you have mechanical drawings or a visual, it's anybody's guess what happened.
Valve failed? Piped wrong?
Phippst Likes This 
Old 11-29-2016, 02:51 PM  
Phippst
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There isn't any crawl space. We had some renovation done and I found the plumber's note. He said that he connected the new pipes for the heat to the main return. He noted that he didn't have experience with these kind of radiators ( two pipes come up from flow- and radiators in between). It looks like when we turn on the thermostat in one room, it triggers the heat to go on throughout 1st floor other zones. I turned the radiators down to 50 and the heat was still coming up 24hours later.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:52 PM  
Phippst
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Right. No way to know since we can't get under house. As noted above, when I turn on thermostat in one room (zone), heat goes on in other zones. and does not go off. Our HVAC guy wants to start all over but lots of $.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:22 PM  
DFBonnett
Retired decorating contractor
Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 36

FWIW, my daughter had the same problem in her house with 2 zones. One of the controllers that operate the zone valves was hung up and wouldn't shut off so the furnace and circulator wouldn't shut off. I rapped on the controller with the handle of a screwdriver and it shut off. It made a scraping/whining sound while moving so I figured it was toast. A replacement of the controller head, not the whole valve, was the cure. It's been a few years and so far so good. You may want to identify the relevant zone valve, remove the cover, then have someone turn the thermostat for that zone up and down while you see if the controller operates.

Last edited by DFBonnett; 11-29-2016 at 07:28 PM.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 11-29-2016, 08:38 PM  
johnjh2o
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you don't have zone valves then it is a bad flow check

Last edited by johnjh2o; 11-30-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Phippst Likes This 
Old 11-30-2016, 09:43 AM  
Phippst
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok. Thanks. Yes, we're checking that out.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:47 AM  
Phippst
Established Member
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

hmm. this sounds pretty good. We have shut off the zones where the heat won't go off and now we don't have heat there. I passed on your thoughts about the controller to the guys working on the system. They have already replaced all the flow values, put in a new circulation pump. I don't remember them talking about the controller. Thanks and will see what they say.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 AM  
johnjh2o
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phippst View Post
hmm. this sounds pretty good. We have shut off the zones where the heat won't go off and now we don't have heat there. I passed on your thoughts about the controller to the guys working on the system. They have already replaced all the flow values, put in a new circulation pump. I don't remember them talking about the controller. Thanks and will see what they say.
Post a picture of your boiler and piping