DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Help Please - Leaking Bathroom Faucet

Old 12-10-2016, 07:37 PM  
m4p
Established Member
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

UPDATE: Woo hoo! I finally got it apart, well most of the way anyway. Those caps were just decorative. I just removed the set screw and kept moving the stem up and down until it came off (there are actually 2 set screws on each handle). The leak is a little worse now. When I shut off the water, it drips, drips, drips constantly.

I just don't know what to do next. I know unscrew the top screw but what happens after that I have no idea. I hope this is a cartridge where I can just remove it and get the part. I hope it's not where I'd have to replace o-rings or springs because I would really be lost. I"ve been watching the video that Nealnw posted. Now I know to use a razor blade to get rid of the schmootz (love that word).

Here's a pic (sorry, looks like it's upside down. It was right side up on my computer):

Click image for larger version

Name:	FaucetHandle3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	12983  

Last edited by slownsteady; 12-10-2016 at 09:36 PM. Reason: image mgmt

Old 12-10-2016, 09:38 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1029 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 1690

Mazel tov! (goes with schmootz). Now where exactly is it leaking from? The spout? the base of the faucet? Underneath the sink? Be as specific as possible.

m4p Likes This 
Old 12-11-2016, 07:10 AM  
jeffmattero76
Established Member
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts

I only use Moen single handle faucets so I am not familiar with the type you are working on. However, I would start by removing the large nut just below the stem. Once you do that take a picture and post it, or look for some type of hardware that is holding the cartridge inside the body of the faucet. With Moens, the retainer is a U shaped piece that slips through a slot in the valve body. Once you remove that retainer the cartridge can be pulled out. Sometimes you need a puller tool, but most times channel lock pliers will do the trick. If you can find the name of the company that made the faucet, call them, since many faucets come with lifetime warrantys. Often they will send you the cartridges and associated parts for free, rather than paying $30 or so at a big box or supply house.

Obviously, all of this should be done with the water off below the sink.
m4p Likes This 
Old 12-11-2016, 07:40 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 618 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 296

Yep, most likely Moen will send you a replacement cartridge for free.
m4p Likes This 
Old 12-15-2016, 08:16 AM  
m4p
Established Member
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the replies. I appreciate them more than you can know. Sorry for the delay but we got hit with 10" of snow over the weekend so my project got delayed. I still can't figure out what brand this faucet is, but here's a pic of it taken apart. The leak is from the spout only, on the hot side, although I am going to buy replacement parts for the cold side while I'm at it in case I need them in the future.

I've been watching videos and reading articles but I'm still not sure how to remove the cartridge. Do I unscrew the screw that is on the top? Do I remove that retaining clip? I'm lost as to what I should be doing next (and confused why my pictures keep coming out sideways).
Click image for larger version

Name:	FaucetHandle4.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	13018  

Old 12-15-2016, 08:53 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2581 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 4301

I think I would pull the wire keeper and undo the chrome nut.
m4p Likes This 
Old 12-15-2016, 09:31 AM  
m4p
Established Member
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
I think I would pull the wire keeper and undo the chrome nut.
Thanks! So I don't do anything with the screw on top?

Old 12-15-2016, 09:39 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 618 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 296

I believe the screw on top is only there if you needed to replace the various handle configurations. As Neal recommended, pull the clip and unscrew the chrome piece. Then either match up and replace the entire stem or purchase the parts to make it "whole" again. Since it may help others down the road, please take a pic of the stem for us once you remove it.
m4p Likes This 
Old 12-15-2016, 09:53 AM  
m4p
Established Member
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I believe the screw on top is only there if you needed to replace the various handle configurations. As Neal recommended, pull the clip and unscrew the chrome piece. Then either match up and replace the entire stem or purchase the parts to make it "whole" again. Since it may help others down the road, please take a pic of the stem for us once you remove it.
Thank you, I will definitely take a pic once I get it removed. I think the less parts I have to deal with, so much the better, so hopefully I can just get a replacement stem. I know when I fixed my leaky shower, it was just a big cartridge piece that I replaced. That one was a lot easier because it was a Delta and they had a video on their website that showed exactly what to do. Plus, they sent the part for free. I can't find any indication of the brand of this faucet. There are some numbers on the aerator, but I think it may just be for the aerator itself.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:24 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2581 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 4301

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4p View Post
Thanks! So I don't do anything with the screw on top?
look for a name on the spot some times in the front sometimes on the back

m4p Likes This