DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Identification of bathroom faucet

Old 12-23-2016, 08:40 PM  
edlank
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Identification of bathroom faucet

I have a bathroom faucet I cannot identify in the house I bought. The house was built in 1990. The cold valve works well. The hot valve works, but requires ~3/4 to 1 full revolution of the stem to start getting water flow. It actually shuts off again with very little rotation, but with no sensation of resistance, so everyone naturally continues to turn it another 3/4 revolution.

I disassembled it, and the two stems are NOT the same. The faucet looks like the shower valve, and I have a brochure on the shower valve from Grohe. I have taken the stems to 2 large plumbing supply houses, and neither can identify it. I posted images and questions on the Grohe site, and the service agent said the valve is not Grohe. Can anyone identify it? The second picture shows the two stems. The upper stem is the hot water stem (the "mushy" one) and the lower stem is the cold one (that works well). I apologize for the differing size/aspect ratio. The differences are an extra rib above the middle O-ring on the hot stem, and no small upper O-ring on the cold stem. Any help would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HallFaucetLo.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	13106   Click image for larger version

Name:	TiledValve.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	13107  

Old 12-24-2016, 08:14 AM  
kok328
Liked 232 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Replace all rubber washers and o-rings. Lube them up with silicone grease and reassemble the fixture.
No need to I'd faucet just take stems to local hardware and get individual orings.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:25 AM  
edlank
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks, but I have done all of that years ago, with no change, and again recently, with no change. The plumbing parts man did not even think that he could get an exact replacement for the O-rings, making it seem that it might be metric. I had a hardware store with a larger selection than the plumber had, and replaced them with ones that seem to be good replacements, and lubricated with silicone grease. I find it very strange that the two stems are different, and not right hand versus left hand rotation. They are both the same rotation. The hot water valve has had this behavior since we bought the house in 2007. I think the hot stem was replaced with the wrong one before our arrival. I simply think I need to replace the hot stem with the correct stem.

And I am wrong about the Grohe shower valve...that is the OTHER shower stall valve.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:10 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1029 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 1690

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21907

possibly some helpful info here. Specifically post #8 in your case. I would try to ID the cold one and then look for a corresponding hot valve.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:57 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1267 Times on 1012 Posts
Likes Given: 397

If this has been going on for years and replacements have not been sourced, maybe it's time to replace the faucets....just a thought.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:02 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2581 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 4301

Condition of the seat?

Old 12-27-2016, 09:40 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

When you remove the washer unscrew the stem, there might be another O ring in there.
This guy has a similar valve and he says it can be changed to a cartridge type.

Last edited by nealtw; 12-27-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:05 PM  
edlank
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I replaced the seat even though it looked good, and it made no difference. The water has always turned off just fine, but there is such little resistance to turning it that everyone feels like it must be turned more until it feels firm. After a year of this, the washer is smushed horribly. A washer made of harder material made little difference, either. I have completely disassembled this, and replaced all O-rings. I think the different design of the stem is the problem. I cannot understand how the two (hot and cold) became different.

I was hoping someone could identify the manufacturer. It may be a more obscure company that our local plumber supply houses cannot identify. The local hardware store with their notebook of hundreds of stems has none that match by the usual measurements.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FaucetWasher.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	13119  

Old 12-27-2016, 01:13 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

If yours are joined by hoses below the deck each unit can be changed out for new, perhaps one has been updated once already.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:54 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlank View Post
I have a bathroom faucet I cannot identify in the house I bought. The house was built in 1990. The cold valve works well. The hot valve works, but requires ~3/4 to 1 full revolution of the stem to start getting water flow. It actually shuts off again with very little rotation, but with no sensation of resistance, so everyone naturally continues to turn it another 3/4 revolution.

I disassembled it, and the two stems are NOT the same. The faucet looks like the shower valve, and I have a brochure on the shower valve from Grohe. I have taken the stems to 2 large plumbing supply houses, and neither can identify it. I posted images and questions on the Grohe site, and the service agent said the valve is not Grohe. Can anyone identify it? The second picture shows the two stems. The upper stem is the hot water stem (the "mushy" one) and the lower stem is the cold one (that works well). I apologize for the differing size/aspect ratio. The differences are an extra rib above the middle O-ring on the hot stem, and no small upper O-ring on the cold stem. Any help would be appreciated.
Here is chart that will help you find the maker.

http://www.faucetpartsplus.com/

and this one might make it easier to find the part.

http://www.edyoungs.com/shopping/stems.htm

Last edited by nealtw; 12-27-2016 at 08:04 PM.