DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Cost to Build Detached 1-car Garage

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:15 PM  
bh_homeowner
Default Cost to Build Detached 1-car Garage

Hi All,

I'm interested in having an unfinished, detached, single-car garage built in my backyard at the end of my driveway. Standard height. About 200 square feet. With a single window and standard side-entry door. I intend to park my small truck and store some boxes inside.

I'm looking to hire a contractor. Has anyone gone through this? Any tips/pitfalls? What am I looking at in terms of all associated costs?

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:01 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2831 Times on 2485 Posts
Likes Given: 4662

At the best you get some wild guesses.
The way it works usually is you find a set of plans or have them drawn up including placement on the property, best to use a local house plan outfit that is knowing of local codes and such.
Then you get a permit and then you have contractors bid on the job. If they all bid on the same set of plans and all use the same material then you will know how much it will cost.

joecaption Likes This 
Old 04-19-2017, 03:45 PM  
joecaption
Liked 227 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Well said, no one even knows where you live with no location in your profile, so no idea what codes, labor rates, material cost your dealing with.
Rule #1, no one has ever built a shed to big.
Alway's cracks me up when I drive by and someone has at least 2, sheds and there out there building a 24 X 24 garage.
#2, No one has ever ran too much power to an out building.
Way to many times I've had to deal with under sized wiring ran to sheds and garages built to minimum codes, far cheaper to do it right the first time.
Want to add a welder, window A/C, woodworking tools, later on there may not be a way to do it without all new wiring ran.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 04-20-2017, 06:18 AM  
Sparky617
Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 136

As others stated without a location it would be difficult, even with a location it would still be a WAG (no science involved).

Location matters because foundation depth matters based on frost line in your area. Here a foundation for a single story garage would be 12" or so. In the frozen north, it might be 48". Type of soil, flatness of the land, access, labor rates, competition for building supply business all make a huge difference.