DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Toy stuck in bathtub faucet

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:54 PM  
TheDude2741
Default Toy stuck in bathtub faucet

Of course one of my sons put a small turtle inside our bathroom tub faucet. Its lodged in enough where water wont push it back up, but just out of reach for fingers. I can see it. Tried grabbing with needle nose pliers. That just pushed it further in. Is there an easy way to grab it without removing the faucet? Thank you.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:33 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1414 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Bend a small hook on the end of a piece of coat hanger wire. Push it in beside it and turn it and hook it out. Buy the kids larger toys for the tub.

maxdad118 Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 05:34 AM  
frodo

Liked 1178 Times on 923 Posts
Likes Given: 413

kids are great

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum/...faq=supporting
maxdad118 Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 06:40 AM  
joecaption
Liked 235 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Plumbers love kids, for this very reason.
If it's still loose I might try one of my dental tools, I bought a cheap set out of one of those bin boxes at the hardware store where they sell cheap chinese tool and use it all the time for stuff.
Also works great for prying out O rings.
If it's stuck and you can still see enough of it I might try drilling and inserting a screw into it so I'd have sort of a handle to pull it out.
People Like This 
Old 04-22-2017, 06:34 AM  
Thumper

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Harbor Freight sells a small pick set for a buck thirty nine. Best buy of my life. Yeah I agree that a bent coat hanger will take care of your problem with some fenagling. But you know this is gonna happen again. And again.

These have been through five states and seven countries. Theyre also great for picking carbon off a bolt carrier group.

Trust me. My wife and I have four and now two grandbabies. It never ends.
Intelligence is an interesting thing. Stupid does not recognize intellegence. It takes intelligence to know intelligence. That is why the stupid man believes he is smart. Because he can not fathom anyone smarter than him.

Last edited by Thumper; 04-22-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:22 AM  
frodo

Liked 1178 Times on 923 Posts
Likes Given: 413

if it is tub spout, just remove the spout and poke it out

removing the spout is not hard it either unscrews or has a set screw on the bottom

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum/...faq=supporting
mabloodhound Likes This 
Old 08-04-2017, 04:14 AM  
MrTed
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As with above, use an old coat hanger. If not, those picks look like they'd be a good investment. I guess it depends just how much of a lever you can get around the toy to pull it out.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:32 AM  
jmr106
Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Most tub faucets get narrow towards the end and of course get a little larger as it goes back towards the pipe connection. Pushup it up a little more and then lightly turning on the water and having it push it back down to the end of the spout might actually help you get it out. The reason being that a turtle is a funny shape and it went in a certain way, so it needs to come out in that same way. When it went in, it flipped around and won't come back out the same way because it isn't facing the same way that it was when it went in. It may also be just barely small enough to have gone into the faucet, so it will require something to grab it and pull it with force. Sure, you could take the faucet spout off. It should just unscrew, but if it looks like an older pipe that it is connected to, I'd be iffy about doing that. If it breaks, you're in for a larger project than you bargained for.

I'm iffy about using a coat hanger or anything with a sharp point. A lot of tub faucets that are older can get gunk in them that basically slowly rots the spout from the inside out. You might scrape a hole in it if it is an old one. It can look shiny and new outside, but cruddy and coming apart inside. After all, it comes in contact with water that is under pressure on a daily basis.