DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > What did you do today?

Old 05-10-2017, 04:38 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1308 Times on 1045 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Nice job inspector!

Old 05-10-2017, 06:06 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2732 Times on 2402 Posts
Likes Given: 4453

Looking good inspector.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:32 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 923 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Bought some new toys today.

Just one reason to leave California
File Type: jpg 1494473470103.jpg (83.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 1494473480268.jpg (90.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 1494473494697.jpg (32.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 1494473503175.jpg (39.2 KB, 41 views)
People Like This 
Old 06-22-2017, 10:43 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

I did a bid then worked on my rental then sat in the Jacuzzi. Good day.

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM  
zannej

Liked 440 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 2556

Last night my brother's front left tire shredded so I had to go pick him up in town. Took my cat to the vet this morning because she had a fever (temp 106), was lethargic, and not eating. She's got her appetite back mostly now. I have to give her meds twice a day.
Then I had to drive my brother in so he could get the tire on his truck replaced. Got there and he saw that his jack was gone (it had been propping the truck up), then I pointed out that his tire had been replaced. Turns out his boss had it fixed for him this morning and paid for it-- he'd been hauling something for his boss when the tire shredded.

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2732 Times on 2402 Posts
Likes Given: 4453

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej View Post
Last night my brother's front left tire shredded so I had to go pick him up in town. Took my cat to the vet this morning because she had a fever (temp 106), was lethargic, and not eating. She's got her appetite back mostly now. I have to give her meds twice a day.
Then I had to drive my brother in so he could get the tire on his truck replaced. Got there and he saw that his jack was gone (it had been propping the truck up), then I pointed out that his tire had been replaced. Turns out his boss had it fixed for him this morning and paid for it-- he'd been hauling something for his boss when the tire shredded.
Now that is a boss that understands how to make friends and influence people.

Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM  
zannej

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Now that is a boss that understands how to make friends and influence people.
He's generally a nice guy. He can be an *** sometimes-- which he told my brother at the job interview. My brother's response was "You're adorable". Guy freaks out when things get busy, makes a lot of mistakes making the pizza, and understaffs/underhires. But he is always understanding when employees need sick leave or need to take care of personal business. He griped about my friends calling in when their dogs were poisoned, but he still let them take off. He will also work around people's schedules if they are taking college classes or if they work second jobs. A few people left for what they thought would be better jobs but came back when things didn't pan out.
He felt responsible for the tire because he had my brother drive to Dallas with him (5 hours one way) to pick up a griddle and other equipment for his wife's new restaurant as well as some stuff for Pizza Hut.
People at the tire place are very nice as well. They used to fix our tires for free a lot of the time. That was before they moved to a larger lot and had higher overhead costs. But they still cut people deals on the tires and labor.
nealtw Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM  
joecaption
Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Mowed and wacked 6 lawns, one was over 3' tall so I had to mow it twice, replaced a 4 X 4 post holding a breaker box that had rotted out, repaired a wooden White Herons head that had broken off when it tipped over, sprayed 3 driveways with RoundUp, talked to a customer about replacing some deck boards, took mower to get fixed, went to Dollar General to buy mixer, it's Friday I need a drink.
People Like This 
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

I worked on my rental then drove to another rental to fix a washer and now I'm home making Frodos favorite drink
zannej Likes This 
Old Today, 06:59 AM  
zannej

How is Frodo doing? Haven't heard much from him lately.

It turned out my brother's boss didn't get his tire fixed. The employees at the tire place saw the truck on the jack with the shredded tire and just figured he left it there because he wanted the tire changed so they changed it for him. The boss did still give my bro enough $ to cover the cost of the tire though.

Went and played D&D after taking my cat for a followup at the vet. Still had a fever but after the meds he gave her this time, she was feeling much better.

On the way home I thought I saw a large tree branch in the road and then I realized it was a man. He'd fallen asleep lying in the middle of the road. I got out and tried to wake him but he was unresponsive. I could see that he was clearly breathing strongly so I called the local police who contacted the sheriff's department. About 2 minutes before the cop got there, I finally got the guy to wake. He was confused as hell. I asked him questions and he only answered with hand gestures and head shakes/nods. He wasn't quite lucid and he kept drifting back off. I kept trying to keep him conscious and finally got him to tell me his name. When the cop arrived, the guy woke up enough to sit up. I described his behavior to the cop when I first found him. The guy was much more talkative with the cop. Turns out his truck got bogged down in the woods. He had some beer and then tried to walk back to his father's house (he started walking at 3am and it was after 6am when I found him). He said he was going to continue walking to his father's house, but the cop said he would drive him home. It was the same cop that pulled my brother over for the headlight issue. Nice guy. Said the only crime was that the guy was obstructing the road. I said it wasn't a big deal and I was just more concerned with his safety. I was afraid he'd been injured or that he was going to get run over. We all shook hands and parted ways.

Last edited by zannej; Today at 06:17 PM.