DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Automatic Gate Openers ?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:27 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1021 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Mighty mule gate opener auto close and have the safety feature to open back up if something touches the gate while moving. Everything is adjustable including how far it opens and closes

People Like This 
Old 12-04-2017, 11:21 PM  
zannej

Liked 501 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Mighty mule gate opener auto close and have the safety feature to open back up if something touches the gate while moving. Everything is adjustable including how far it opens and closes
yeah, I saw you can control how much force the obstacle must exert before it stops. And I think it opens to like 110 degrees max. I'll have to play around with settings.

For the solar panel, do you think it needs the overcharge protector thingy?

Last edited by zannej; 12-06-2017 at 02:14 AM.

Old Yesterday, 03:32 AM  
zannej

Liked 501 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 2911

My mother ordered the battery, box, and wire for the gate opener. What do you think I will need to connect the 16/2 wire to it? I got the box that has the ports to connect it on the outside (so the box can remain closed and not have holes). This box. I couldn't find any other boxes that already had holes on the sides for wires or that didn't have vents on the top that would let rain in.

We ordered the 10w solar panel for $25 as well. Since Mighty Mule said the control panel would prevent overcharging, we didn't get the overcharge protection thing.

I am also looking for a good light. Someone on another forum recommended this light but reviews say it is not entirely waterproof and the sensor needs to be sealed up somehow. Not sure how to do that. I asked how to connect it and was told "Connect the light directly to the battery posts using the fuse in the positive line for protection." only I'm woefully ignorant and don't know exactly how I would connect it. LOL. And I wonder if I need little rubber caps for where it connects on the outside or some sort of water protection. I will get some protection being under trees, but I want to make sure it doesn't get shorted out.

I'm hoping 100' of wire will be sufficient. I think the distance is about 75' give or take 10'. I haven't actually measured and am having to guess.