DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garage & Workshop Forum > Best Tires

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:42 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 3054 Times on 2673 Posts
Likes Given: 5050

I had Toyo's on the mustang for a few years, they took turns having slow leaks, after about 6 re and re with them I gave up and put some cheap Chinese tires on it. Better in the snow than Toyo too.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:54 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 475 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Does everyone know the downside of tubeless on painted rims?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:35 PM  
Chris
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoonyb View Post
Mostly between Hemet and Ventura.

They are all season and they have changed the designation from M to MS.

I put the 5th set at 296,748, love that CUMMINS.
Hemet is not a great place to visit. I'm building a has station there right now on Florida.

My Cummins is about to hit 200k and still feels like a new truck. My new Cummins has 50k now. I'm a fan.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:37 PM  
Chris
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Im far from a tire expert and where we live winter conditions with snow and ice are brutal and if you are out in it and plowing like I used to do a lot of you almost need new tires going into each winter. I have 3 or 4 sets of rims for my truck and always ran BFG all terrain T/A KO. I used to run the 235-85-16 they were the skinny tall 10ply load range E. They would run forever but if I was careful I could get 2 winters out of them and then switch to the older ones to wear down in the summer. Still have the GMC 2500 300,000 miles and going strong lots of miles for a gasser.

I have recommended these in lighter tires for others with SUVs and people seem to like them.
That's a great size and I used to love bfg all terrains until my last two sets got nothing for mileage out of them.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:25 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1580 Times on 1207 Posts
Likes Given: 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That's a great size and I used to love bfg all terrains until my last two sets got nothing for mileage out of them.
I have noticed that about tires also. I bought a SUV years ago and it had Uniroyal Laredo tires on it. every other one on the lot had BFGs so I told the dealer I would buy it but could he switch the tires with another one. He said he could. Went to pick it up and them damn Uniroyal tires were still on it and he told me because it was a dealer car and had 600 miles on it the boss said no switching. So I took it as is. I put 60,000 miles on those tires and saw hardly any wear. I got worried about the age of them and I never liked them even though the worked good and wore like iron. I took them off and put them on my half ton truck and ran them another 50,000 miles. So now I was sold on the things they grew on me. I bought the exact same tire for the truck again and they wore out in under 40,000.

I think when they come out with something new they put a better compound in it at first.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:53 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 3054 Times on 2673 Posts
Likes Given: 5050

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I have noticed that about tires also. I bought a SUV years ago and it had Uniroyal Laredo tires on it. every other one on the lot had BFG’s so I told the dealer I would buy it but could he switch the tires with another one. He said he could. Went to pick it up and them damn Uniroyal tires were still on it and he told me because it was a dealer car and had 600 miles on it the boss said no switching. So I took it as is. I put 60,000 miles on those tires and saw hardly any wear. I got worried about the age of them and I never liked them even though the worked good and wore like iron. I took them off and put them on my half ton truck and ran them another 50,000 miles. So now I was sold on the things they grew on me. I bought the exact same tire for the truck again and they wore out in under 40,000.

I think when they come out with something new they put a better compound in it at first.
Hard rubber will wear like iron, soft rubber has good traction. Sometimes they change that or screw that up. It would be nice to have the tester at hand when you buy tires but they cost more than tires.
http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/too...hoC-VUQAvD_BwE

Old 01-21-2018, 06:11 AM  
boogeyman36
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acolic View Post
Hi

Need to get new all season tires for my 2007 XC90 with stock rims.

Considering I have a set of winter tires.

Cost not being a factor what do people suggest?
I love Michelins for the mileage you get, up to 90,000k. But you sacrifice some on ice and snow. Ever been here?: https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir.../homepage.html

A TON of useful information on tires.!

nealtw Likes This