DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > inspectorD

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:20 AM  
Intolerable
3rd Gen Contractor
Likes Given: 1

Default inspectorD

inspectorD in this thread http://www.houserepairtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14742 you said "you can not modify a truss, only an engineer can do this" I beg to differ. If I take all the braces out of a truss and with the use of a reciprocating saw reduce the remaining lumber to 2X2's or less, then I have most certainly modified the truss, and I did not need an engineer to do so.

I do not appreciate you telling the kids something can't be done. The word "can't" is not a respectful word. There may be steps necessary to achieve something and in some larger cities one of those steps might even be to obtain an Engineering Degree first. But anyone can do anything as long as they set their mind to it and are willing to achieve the necessary steps to complete that goal.

The word "can't" is a degrading word, it says you are worth less then me because I said you "can't". Please do not condemn people, inspire them or guide them. As with every generation these kids are our future, for life is short, we only "live on" in the knowledge we shared and the memories we left.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:20 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1380 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 403

It's your truss, do want you want to it and when it fails you know who to blame. Trusses are designed to spread the dead and live load, when you modify it you can cause catastrophic failure.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:25 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2920 Times on 2560 Posts
Likes Given: 4809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intolerable View Post
inspectorD in this thread http://www.houserepairtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14742 you said "you can not modify a truss, only an engineer can do this" I beg to differ. If I take all the braces out of a truss and with the use of a reciprocating saw reduce the remaining lumber to 2X2's or less, then I have most certainly modified the truss, and I did not need an engineer to do so.

I do not appreciate you telling the kids something can't be done. The word "can't" is not a respectful word. There may be steps necessary to achieve something and in some larger cities one of those steps might even be to obtain an Engineering Degree first. But anyone can do anything as long as they set their mind to it and are willing to achieve the necessary steps to complete that goal.

The word "can't" is a degrading word, it says you are worth less then me because I said you "can't". Please do not condemn people, inspire them or guide them. As with every generation these kids are our future, for life is short, we only "live on" in the knowledge we shared and the memories we left.
Spoken like a true designer, we do try to stop people from making mistakes that could cost thousands to fix but I guess you don't care.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:58 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Old 07-04-2016, 08:46 AM  
Admin
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Quote:
"can't" is a degrading word
This is what I find very interesting.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:57 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
This is what I find very interesting.
That must have hit a sore spot, like he hears that to often.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:34 AM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1004 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I was going to modify a truss in my old garage for a two post lift, luckily I have an engineer in the family but after talking to him the only safe way to do it was so labor intensive that I ditched the whole idea. Not only would I have to modify the trusses I would have had to add beams to span several of the existing trusses to spread the extra load. Wasn't worth it.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 07-04-2016, 12:31 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1380 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 403

Just because you "Can" doesn't mean you should. There's an old saying, stupid is as stupid does.
Admin Likes This 
Old 07-04-2016, 03:40 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1004 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I agree that you probably can modify and will likely never have an issue but in reality you are taking a gamble. Also remember that most tract homes and really most homes built in the last century are built to the minimum standard. They use all sorts of math to figure out loads and weight bearings instead of just going overkill like things used to be built.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:24 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1130 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 1846

Sounds like someone had a bad day........