DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Front door seal / weatherstrip problem

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:21 AM  
DI_Guy
Default Front door seal / weatherstrip problem

Hello, this is my first post to the forum. I just purchased my first home so I look forward to contributing regularly in the future.

Here is my problem: I removed some old weatherstripping from my front door. The "slot" that the old stripping came out of is very narrow and the replacement stripping I bought at HD just would not fit. Instead of using the existing slot, I bought some "stick on" stripping (Cinch). This stick on stuff is just not what I want. It looks horrible and leaves a gap where the old stripping was. I have included some pictures for you to see.

My question is how do I go about replacing the old stripping (the way it was) without having to using this horrible stick on stuff? Do they make stripping for the smaller slot? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Troy

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stripping1 copy.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	500.6 KB
ID:	14462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stripping2 copy.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	547.6 KB
ID:	14463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stripping3 copy.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	14464  

Old 08-18-2017, 10:04 AM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1096 Times on 906 Posts
Likes Given: 1796

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the new house.

If you really plan to get rid of the stick-on stuff, take it off and get some new pictures to post. The stuff just makes it more difficult to see what's there. It's possible that you will have to remove a strip of wood from the window to install the weather stripping. Depending on how the window was manufactured, it may not be too hard. I'm sure one of the guys will be along to give more advice soon.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:51 PM  
Sparky617
Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 136

The first picture doesn't have the self stick stuff, this is a door not a window. In looking at my own doors circa 1998-99 they have a similar slot and use a Z-shaped weatherstrip that fits into that slot. If I did this right, here are some photos. You should be able to find replacement weather stripping at your local big box home improvement store.
Click image for larger version

Name:	weather stripping.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	14465   Click image for larger version

Name:	weather strip slot.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	14466  

Old 08-18-2017, 02:12 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2831 Times on 2485 Posts
Likes Given: 4662

I think the OP has a really old system from the early sixties, the slot is not in the corner like the new ones and finding one that fits that slot is questionable at best.
Something like what they have now might be close to as good as it gets.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:40 PM  
JohnMcNally
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The changing weather actually affects the strip seal, so rather than changing the strip again, i think you should go with the installation of fiberglass door which provides a more security to your home and you even does not to worry about the maintenance of the strip seal. The impact doors with the fiberglass are known to be have strong property to withstand the changing weather. If you think this can help you in any case then you can click over here now to know what else a impact door with fiberglass can give you.