DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Kitchen or bathroom reno - best bang for buck.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:31 PM  
zannej

Liked 436 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 2512

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
My garage should be closed in by the end of the month. Electrical, heating, siding, etc... who knows. Those all depend on budget, and electrical will be the biggie.

Right now, I could spend less than $100 and "fix" that which pisses me off. However, that will not look all that pretty.

I really want a working dishwasher. I could put in a built in one for a few hundred. However, the cladding will not match the rest of the kitchen.

So, in the end it come down to both rooms need to be done. The bathroom looks ugly. The kitchen is functional, but dated.

I could rip off the wood in the bathroom out and clean up that wall, and then throw some pain on the wall. That's about $100 as well..

They need to be one mainly due to cosmetic issues, not function issues.
When you do finish your garage, I'd love to see photos.

I get what you're saying about the fixes. I hope you can come to a decision on which one to fix first-- whichever one pisses you off the most. As for the dishwasher thing, it would be a lot more expensive, but they sell "custom panel" or "panel ready" dishwashers that let you put a cabinet face on them so they look like part of the cabinetry. Not sure if you want to spend that much though. Another option might be to keep a portable one and add another sink with a hookup for it and use the dishwasher as an island of sorts. That is pretty much what I do with mine.
http://www.bosch-home.com/us/product...HVM63W53N.html
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool...SAFP/207055770
http://www.sears.com/bosch-shvm63w53...1&blockType=G1
http://www.abt.com/product/69427/Bos...427-adType^PLA

Last edited by zannej; 05-12-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: found more of the panel ready dishwashers for sale online

Old 05-12-2017, 07:52 PM  
swimmer_spe
Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej View Post
When you do finish your garage, I'd love to see photos.

I get what you're saying about the fixes. I hope you can come to a decision on which one to fix first-- whichever one pisses you off the most. As for the dishwasher thing, it would be a lot more expensive, but they sell "custom panel" or "panel ready" dishwashers that let you put a cabinet face on them so they look like part of the cabinetry. Not sure if you want to spend that much though. Another option might be to keep a portable one and add another sink with a hookup for it and use the dishwasher as an island of sorts. That is pretty much what I do with mine.
http://www.bosch-home.com/us/product...HVM63W53N.html
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool...SAFP/207055770
http://www.sears.com/bosch-shvm63w53...1&blockType=G1
http://www.abt.com/product/69427/Bos...427-adType^PLA
I know I can put a built in where I want it with a side cabinet for around $1000, including the hookups.
I do not have the room for another sink for the portable dishwasher.

zannej Likes This 
Old 05-12-2017, 08:13 PM  
swimmer_spe

A friend pointed something out to me.

Right now I am going to school and I receive a VA pension. While it pays the bills, it is nowhere near as much as what I will make once I am done school. So, if I hold off for the kitchen till after I am working, I will have much more money to do it right.

The bathroom I can easily do. I could go "all out", and still be able to afford to do while still in school.

So, I think as I get closer to doing something, it makes more sense to do the bathroom.
zannej Likes This 
Old 05-12-2017, 11:23 PM  
zannej

Liked 436 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 2512

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
A friend pointed something out to me.

Right now I am going to school and I receive a VA pension. While it pays the bills, it is nowhere near as much as what I will make once I am done school. So, if I hold off for the kitchen till after I am working, I will have much more money to do it right.

The bathroom I can easily do. I could go "all out", and still be able to afford to do while still in school.

So, I think as I get closer to doing something, it makes more sense to do the bathroom.
Ahh! That makes more sense. The kitchen has a lot more work needed. Bathroom is smaller and simpler so it would be the more economical starting point. I'd love to know what you have in mind for the reno on it.

Is your vanity able to be modified to have a hidden toekick drawer? Good place to store the bathroom scale or other things. And you might want to take advantage of between-the-stud storage if you end up opening any walls. Probably won't go that far-- it looks like (other than the tub/shower area) you just need to cover some holes, paint, and put in new flooring. I think some beadboard for the lower part of the wall would look nice (but that's my personal preference).

Do you have anything like bathfitters in your area where they can put a liner in your tub and cover the tile wall? I know tile cracks can be fixed, but am not an expert on how. I'm not a fan of tile. I don't like all of the grout lines. If you splurge a bit, maybe you could get large porcelain tiles or something.

And for behind the tiles, there are lightweight cementboard options available. Can't remember what it's called now. You might want to consider putting in some little in-shower cubbies if you take off the wall that the tile is on.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 PM  
greenlady0
greenlady0
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

definitely the kitchen only reason it is just not functional, the bathroom may not be pretty but the layout at least works. I would do a mid price cabinet countertop to your liking rearrange stove and fridge and splurge on a working dishwasher. It will be worth every penny in the end. For the bath the tub can be reglazed if it is a cast iron tub then work on the rest as budget and time allows. Remember you never move until you have remodeled/redecorated every roomPost pics of before and after. Best of luck
zannej Likes This 
Old 05-17-2017, 11:51 PM  
Voldo
Banned
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

the bathroom is more economical compare to the kitchen renovation as you will need a lot of things to do on your kitchen, based on the pics if I will be doing a renovation on your kitchen I will definitely add new countertop, cabinets, shelves and lightning to really uplift the your kitchen. if ever you opt for the kitchen reno please do not forget to add proper lightings and outlets.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:15 AM  
swimmer_spe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldo View Post
the bathroom is more economical compare to the kitchen renovation as you will need a lot of things to do on your kitchen, based on the pics if I will be doing a renovation on your kitchen I will definitely add new countertop, cabinets, shelves and lightning to really uplift the your kitchen. if ever you opt for the kitchen reno please do not forget to add proper lightings and outlets.
The lighting is not an issue. I would change the plugs to GFCI, but there is plenty of them throughout the counter area.