DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Tornado Recovery

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:12 AM  
Gary
Liked 190 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Hello. It's been awhile since I've had time to do any post tornado repair. I've had a couple back accidents over the years that haunt me and acid reflux, so my wife & I decied to replace our 2 decade old bed with an adjustable base bed. Well, one thing lead to another and we ended up tearing out the carpet, that was showered with glass & replaced it with a laminate floor. My wife has alergies so replacing carpet with more carpet didn't seem like a good idea. I boxed in the hot water heat runs in the crawl space under the master bath & bedroom and insulated the floor joists, so the hard surface flooring isn't cold. We re-painted the lite green walls with sort of a light tan/gray color. I finished it off with a digital print of Pikes Peak in CO for an accent wall. I took that shot during our 39th anniversary trip. Of all the places we've gone so far the mountains are our favorite. Got a few details to finish yet and have to move stuff back in, but we now have one more room checked off the tornado renovation list. I suppose I should change those outlets to ground fault now that they're in the water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom wall.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	15198  

Last edited by Gary; 12-16-2017 at 11:14 PM.
zannej Likes This 
Old 12-17-2017, 06:19 AM  
zannej

Liked 506 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 2964

Oh wow! That is an awesome photo and it looks beautiful on the wall! How difficult was that to put up?

That picture could be marketed as a background/screensaver for people's computers. I love it!

The flooring looks very nice and I like the wood door. I also like your ceiling fan. It looks like a classier version of the one we have in our living room with the multiple flower-type shades for the bulbs.

I like how the smoke alarm (is that a smoke alarm) is yellow like a sun.

I hope that you will enjoy your new adjustable bed!

Great job!

Old 12-22-2017, 11:31 AM  
Gary

Thanks zannej. Little by little it's looking less and less like a tornado came through. All but 1 or 2 lots in our nieghborhood now have been rebuilt, some not occupied yet. We'll be back to normal soon, less the large trees we won't see in our lifetime.
zannej Likes This 
Old 12-22-2017, 01:30 PM  
zannej

I'm very glad that you've been able to fix it up and that people are recovering from the tornado. It always makes me sad when people lose their homes.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:21 PM  
Gary

Knocked out another post-tornado project today. I've had the patio door replaced for a long time, but never got around to finishing the inside. We bought a vinyl clad door with a golden oak wood finish on the inside. The problem was the golden oak in the kitchen has 30+ years of age on it and is 2-3 shades darker than the door. So, I bought a 1/2 pint of Mission Oak that's designed to be used over the existing finish. One coat darkened it enough to match the old finish. I then re-installed the trim that I made originally. Small job, but it feels good to make at least a little progress.
Still have that deck outside starring me in the face. 18.5f today, so that's my excuse for now for putting it off.
Click image for larger version

Name:	patio door copy.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	18544  

Last edited by Gary; 01-13-2018 at 01:36 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-14-2018, 03:41 AM  
zannej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Knocked out another post-tornado project today. I've had the patio door replaced for a long time, but never got around to finishing the inside. We bought a vinyl clad door with a golden oak wood finish on the inside. The problem was the golden oak in the kitchen has 30+ years of age on it and is 2-3 shades darker than the door. So, I bought a 1/2 pint of Mission Oak that's designed to be used over the existing finish. One coat darkened it enough to match the old finish. I then re-installed the trim that I made originally. Small job, but it feels good to make at least a little progress.
Still have that deck outside starring me in the face. 18.5f today, so that's my excuse for now for putting it off.
That looks beautiful!
I don't blame you for waiting on the deck. That temp is no good for working outside.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:40 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1492 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Looks great!

I was planning on refinishing my deck all summer and never got to it.We will see how 2018 looks at getting it done.

Holly's grandad helped me remodel the house. He's and old retired guy that did a lot of building in his day. His favorite saying after each of these little projects
got done was, "Every little bit helps."
zannej Likes This 
Old 01-15-2018, 02:53 PM  
Gary

Thanks zannej and Bud. We're plugging away on the very long list, 1 item at a time.

People Like This