DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > What did you do today?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:08 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2831 Times on 2485 Posts
Likes Given: 4662

The say she said she was not buying it was the day she should have moved out. See the sheriff. They are squatting and have no rights.

zannej Likes This 
Old 09-19-2017, 06:26 PM  
frodo

Liked 1133 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Zannie.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=oa1ez7yL_T4

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum/...faq=supporting
zannej Likes This 
Old 09-19-2017, 07:50 PM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Liked 51 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej View Post
If you mean printed out? Sadly, No. However, there might be some text messages discussing the arrangement. I advised him to screenshot them and print them out in case he needs to show proof to the amount she agreed to pay him and the arrangement of when/why he let her move in. It was very shortly before tax returns were supposed to come in and her taxes were still set to be directly deposited to his account. There won't be any tax returns this year because she quit her job last year and hasn't worked and has no intention of working because she doesn't want him to get any $.
Yeah, find those texts, screenshot them, print them out, back them up to 2 hard drives and the cloud! I don't even know if claims courts will accept that but it's better than nothing. I guess they might be able to subpoena data from the cell phone records too.

I feel bad for your friend but it goes to show: always get something in writing. Always. Don't care if it's your girlfriend, your ex-girlfriend, your best friend, your mom. You just never know what crazy stuff people will pull. Even innocent misunderstandings can blow up. It feels awkward and impersonal and you'll always get people shaking their heads saying "it was different back in my day when everyone just trusted each other and helped each other out" but that's better than being in your friend's position now. Or his ex's, to be honest: ripping off other people comes with its own stress, and if you believe in an afterlife...
zannej Likes This 
Old Today, 12:58 PM  
zannej

Liked 464 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 2685

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo View Post
LOL. If that was about the tree stuff, he got our mutual friend (the one with the trailer/lousy ex problems) to come out. I watched them work-- primary guy cut the trees down and then both of them loaded up the trees/branches in to a trailer on the back of a john deer mower (which currently has the mower part removed pending repair). Second friend was driving the mower and hauling things out to a pile while more trees got cut down and the main guy was giving instructions and pushing the mower when it got stuck. They both nearly got heat stroke. I was only out there for about 10 minutes (standing in the shade) and I was sweating like crazy within a minute. They got a LOT of work done. They intend to come out earlier in the day next time. First guy took $100 and gave the other friend the $50. Other friend also fixed mom's laptop, gave tech support on her desktop (hard drive failed), and unjammed the garbage disposal (I got the glass out of it and I had the tool to turn the blades but I couldn't get it to turn).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover View Post
Yeah, find those texts, screenshot them, print them out, back them up to 2 hard drives and the cloud! I don't even know if claims courts will accept that but it's better than nothing. I guess they might be able to subpoena data from the cell phone records too.

I feel bad for your friend but it goes to show: always get something in writing. Always. Don't care if it's your girlfriend, your ex-girlfriend, your best friend, your mom. You just never know what crazy stuff people will pull. Even innocent misunderstandings can blow up. It feels awkward and impersonal and you'll always get people shaking their heads saying "it was different back in my day when everyone just trusted each other and helped each other out" but that's better than being in your friend's position now. Or his ex's, to be honest: ripping off other people comes with its own stress, and if you believe in an afterlife...
Yeah. Some of it my friend brings on himself for letting the ex use him as a doormat. Although, her current fiance felt so bad about the situation, that he actually paid my friend a little bit toward the purchase of the trailer. My friend said that if the couple splits, he'll let the fiance stay and kick the girl out. She doesn't even have custody of either of the kids right now. She's unemployed and could be watching the kids-- but she has them staying with grandparents. Her son with her ex-husband is with her father and the daughter she has with my friend is staying with my friend's grandparents (until he can get a bedroom fixed up for her at his house).

On a side note, I wish I had purchased the shower and surround I'd wanted for Mom's bathroom a few months ago because it has now been discontinued on HomeDepot and the Lowes price is over $100 more. I need to see if I can find it cheaper somewhere that Lowes will price match. I wonder if Mom's Medicare part B would cover anything for it since she's unable to lift her leg high enough to step over the tub edge so she can't use her shower. Even with the shower seat that goes over the edge of the tub, she can't get in. She hasn't taken a shower since 2009-- she uses those body wipes for seniors/handicap people.

Another side note, I saw someone posting on Facebook about how she can't stand "a dam lair" and went on to kvetch that she asked someone to loan her money until she got her paycheck and the person declined (claiming they didn't have any money) and she was enraged that the person then had the audacity to spend their own money to buy themselves drinks instead of giving the $ to her. The first part had me picturing a dragon's lair full of beaver dams. Second part had me facepalming at the entitlement.
Save

Old Today, 03:50 PM  
Gary
Liked 153 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Today I haven't done anything. Yesterday I have Gall Bladder surgery. All went well.

Old Today, 03:51 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1361 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Good to Hear Gary.

Old Today, 04:40 PM  
frodo

Liked 1133 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Today I haven't done anything. Yesterday I have Gall Bladder surgery. All went well.
glad you are ok

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum/...faq=supporting