DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Wooden tiles help please?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:20 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 435 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mfg. are counting on a level of permanence, not temporary, so the installation inst. reflect that.

Assuming there are some budgetary constraints you might try some "bone yards" in your area because there use to be square "click together" wood flooring.

Here is a product that if there isn't to much damage, could be resold; https://www.calibamboo.com/product-g...l#product-tab4

Old 10-01-2017, 07:01 PM  
morefire519

Budget isn't the issue. You're not understanding and I guess I'm not making myself clear. I don't want my floor to look like cheap wood. I don't want laminate flooring. I purchased a beautiful cedar home that is quite old. It's foundation has settled and needs to be leveled at some point but it's not a priority. We are preparing for winter, building a barn for my alpacas, fencing off pastures, harvesting, and an adoption that are taking priority. I have purchased floral hand painted wooden tiles that I fell in love with. Normally I would just lay carpet until I was ready to have the house jacked up/leveled and then lay the tile properly but my dog got cancer in her mouth and has been bleeding and drooling a lot so I needed something easy to clean up. The floor is such a huge space and ties the whole room together. I'm sick of looking at the tattered brick patterned linoleum that currently resides in my home. I just want to lay my beautiful wooden tiles temporarily with caulk or perhaps silicone so I can feel put together now but remove it and do it right when my life is a little less hectic. So what I am asking is: will caulk last a year or two on wooden tiles in a living room? Is there some bulk white silicone product that I could use and if so what is it called? Money isn't an issue. It's time, life, priorities but a desire to feel comfortable and enjoy the beauty of my surroundings as I go through emotionally challenging times.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:42 PM  
samfloor
Carpet Installer

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Are you talking about loose laying the tiles and putting caulk between them?

(AKA Floorist, Rusty Baker)

Old 10-01-2017, 07:51 PM  
morefire519

No. I would still glue them in but maybe not use as much glue

Old 10-01-2017, 07:52 PM  
morefire519

And then yeah, instead of grout I want to use something that's easy to remove

Old 10-01-2017, 09:17 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 435 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If your intent, then, is to simply lay over the existing, eventually remove and repurpose the tiles, then you have several options, 1 is any of the construction adhesives from LOCKTITE, another is any of the urethane adhesives. Were it I, I would not spread with a notched trowel, but dollop in each corner.

LOCKTITE comes to adhesion quicker than urethane.

Here are a couple;

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products.shtml

http://usa.sika.com/en/solutions_pro...adhesives.html

Last edited by Snoonyb; 10-01-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:17 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1133 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 1850

Grout, as is used on ceramic tiles.....would not even be considered by me.It will just ruin your wooden tiles. I suppose caulk would be usable, but again, it would be a pain to clean them off of the tiles when you want to do a more permanent installation. As far as adhering them to the floor is concerned, I think most adhesives are designed for permanence and that would mean trouble later on down the road.
My best advice is to save your valuable wooden tiles for when you can use them properly. You can get some inexpensive sheet vinyl for now, or even a low cost laminate that you won't mind ditching in the future.

Too bad about the dog...my sympathies.

joecaption Likes This