DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Can you glue lay loose vinyl floor planks?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:41 AM  
papakevin
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Default Can you glue lay loose vinyl floor planks?

Long story short, I was given quite a bit of lay loose vinyl floor planks and was planning on installing in an old lake cabin which currently has carpeting. My issue is the floor of the cabin isn't level and does have a little flex. With this in mind, do I need to reinforce the flooring before I install the vinyl planks or can I leave it as-is and just glue them down? If it's ok to glue them, is there a specific type of glue I should be using?

Appreciate it.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:12 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2947 Times on 2583 Posts
Likes Given: 4855

Sheet vinyl has paper on the back that sticks to the glue, if you can find the brand, they may have a suggestion. A solid floor is always a good idea.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:19 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 689 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Why glue them? If they are a click lock version, they will lay nice without any adhesive.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:38 AM  
papakevin
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

They are not the click lock version. They are just planks that lay flat, side by side with no way to lock them into one another. Seems odd to me, but I guess it's just the friction which keeps them together once installed.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:02 AM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1133 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 1850

Sounds pretty odd. A picture or a Mfr's name (or both) would be helpful here.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:14 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2947 Times on 2583 Posts
Likes Given: 4855

I have seen something like that called drop and done, the ones I saw were really thick and expensive.

Last edited by nealtw; 12-18-2016 at 09:16 PM.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:48 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1447 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I haven’t installed this product myself but my nephew used it in his house and there was one major problem he could never get around and he ended up taking it all up and putting down a snap together laminate product.

The problem he had was sunlight. His flooring was a dark color and when sunlight coming in his window or double doors would hit the flooring and warm it up it would expand and buckle he took it up once and trimmed it for expansion and then he got gaps. This flooring is constantly moving. It looked great when he would put it down and after a couple days it was a mess after the sun warmed it up.

In the video, they mentioned they tape the edge and a few strips down the middle. I don’t see where that would have helped.

Like I said I don’t know if all brands do this, but it was bad enough I wouldn’t put one down unless I saw the problem was fixed. I don’t see it as being that much more work doing the snap together laminate. Except this would be really easy making a repair.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:54 AM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

All loose lay flooring advises a gap around the edge of the room for expansion - especially vinyl. OP would be well advised to find the Mfr's installation instructions.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:21 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1447 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
All loose lay flooring advises a gap around the edge of the room for expansion - especially vinyl. OP would be well advised to find the Mfr's installation instructions.
Neal’s video says no gap. With no gap you get buckling with gap you get huge cracks as nothing holds the pieces together. With sunlight you get huge tapered gaps and buckling depending how much the stuff sitting on the floor holds it in place. Is what we found.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:43 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Neal’s video says no gap. With no gap you get buckling with gap you get huge cracks as nothing holds the pieces together. With sunlight you get huge tapered gaps and buckling depending how much the stuff sitting on the floor holds it in place. Is what we found.
The problem with most how-to videos ( and that first one was pretty bad at the how-to part) is that they show you the finished project right after it is completed. And that usually looks good as long as the installation was not screwed up. But they seldom or never show you the same project three or six months later. Who knows what it looked like by then.

bud16415 Likes This