DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Replacing subfloor

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:20 PM  
BrandonBoss
Likes Given: 7

I don't plan on installing new joists though because they were all replaced 6 years ago with pressure treated ones that were sistered to the old joists. So would I just try to get glue on the top of the joists that are already their and then try to send in screws at a 45 degree angle to suck the subfloor down onto them? I appreciate you taking the time and walking me through all this.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2943 Times on 2579 Posts
Likes Given: 4844

45* screws will not pull a gap closed, actually it will lock the gap in place.

Better would be to pre drill a 2x2 in two direction apply glue to top and side, screw it to the top of the joist first and the screw it to the floor. Pre drilling is important so the threads don't grab the 2x2 . Both screws straight in and straight up.

BrandonBoss Likes This 
Old 03-07-2017, 09:48 PM  
BrandonBoss

So I was planning on screwing down the 1x6 planks to the new joists. Will that not pull the joists and 1x6 together?

Old 03-08-2017, 10:01 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

yes it will.
BrandonBoss Likes This 
Old 03-09-2017, 02:52 PM  
BrandonBoss

One more set of questions that I am wondering about. Which kind of screws/nails do you think I should use for connecting the old subfloor to the new joists and what kind of glue or adhesive do I use for the sistered joists that I plan on clamping together and screwing together? I was going to use the subfloor adhesive for on top of the 1x6's under the new layer of plywood. Wanting to know what kind to use for those 2x2's you recommended and also what to use in between the sistered joists that I am going to try to clamp together. Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:04 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Galvanized deck screws because you have treated lumber, anything metal should be galvanized.

Any of the construction floor glues that come in the large tube
People Like This 
Old 03-16-2017, 09:25 AM  
mabloodhound
Restoration & Renovations
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

A few items to consider:
Hangers....use that palm nailer to drive the nails or you can also use screws.
Glue.....Any construction adhesive sold for sub-floors, roof decking, etc. will work. Both for use between the 2 joists or for the new sub floor.
Flooring......3/4" tongue & groove plywood is sufficient as a sub-floor.
Fasteners......screws are less likely to "squeak" later on. Nails loosen and that causes the noise when the board moves against the loose nail.
Screws........The coated exterior screws will work in PT lumber as well as galvanized screws.
You could also look into the Timberlock screws for use in pulling the 2 joists together. They have a hex washer head and will not pull through the wood as easy.
Planing/leveling......do not try and make everything perfectly "level". Just get the bumps and dips out of the joists and live with a minor slope if necessary.

If you pull the entire sub floor up, it will be much easier working on the joists. You can also do it in sections. And for the parallel wall, you could add a joist to catch the new flooring along that edge.