DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Bathroom Floor Question

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:29 AM  
biddlecom
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Bathroom Floor Question

I have a bathroom that im gutting and redoing. The only portion im keeping in place is the flooring. The bathroom floor has a couple layers of different floor but the most current layer which is linoleum is asbestos containing. It is in perfect shape minus the edge that goes against the bathtub. It is beveled up a tiny bit. I would like to just throw some board over the floor then place a new sheet vinyl over it. Is there a certain board or way I should do this to make sure the floor is sealed properly? I don’t want there to be any moisture getting in and building up to produce mold.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:42 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 429 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the existing is not embossed, and at that age it should not be, simply trim the section against the tub back an inch or so, fill with a leveling compound and set your new product.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:32 AM  
biddlecom
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Shouldn't I place some kind of underlayment? Or just throw a rugged sheet vinyl over it. Also Im not sure about cutting a 4 foot long strip out of asbestos containing linoleum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoonyb View Post
If the existing is not embossed, and at that age it should not be, simply trim the section against the tub back an inch or so, fill with a leveling compound and set your new product.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:23 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1132 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 1848

The asbestos should not be a problem unless you are creating dust; i.e. sanding or grinding. You can cut the strip and dispose of it in the trash.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:40 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 429 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by biddlecom View Post
Shouldn't I place some kind of underlayment? Or just throw a rugged sheet vinyl over it. Also Im not sure about cutting a 4 foot long strip out of asbestos containing linoleum.
If the existing is not embossed, no underlayment is necessary.

Measure out an 1" and a 1/2 or so, scribe a line, dampen slightly, make the cut holding the cutting tool at a 45 degree angle, remove and dispose of the cut section, apply filler and set new flooring.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:30 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1447 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 779

You will have a greater asbestos exposure walking along the road in front of your house where for 75 years cars applied their brake pads and wore off tiny particles that are now mixed in with the dust on the side of the road. I think the risk of cutting it or taking it up is so small I personally wouldn’t be concerned. How do you know the product contains asbestos? Did you have a piece tested? What did the test report say or recommend?