DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Rotten king stud repair between two windows




Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2017, 10:22 AM  
act4181
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4
Default Rotten king stud repair between two windows

Hello,

This is my first time posting, but I've found a lot of useful information here in the past. I'm helping a friend of mine with some water damage issues between two windows. He found some areas of bad caulking around window trim and pulled off the siding to expose some water damage to the studs. He's fixed the infiltration issue and has let the area dry out all summer so everything is nice and dry. Normally this would be an easy patch job.

The tricky part is that this damage occurred between two windows. So both the cripples and both king studs are damaged. I've posted two pictures of the are affected. The damage is worse going from right to left, despite the appearance of the far left cripple. The far right cripple is actually in the worst shape, followed by the king stud to the left. I think the cripple-king pair on the left is more or less ok, but the pair on the right should be replaced. But if we're going to fix one pair, it seems like it'd be better to replace both pairs.

Since there are two king studs right next to each other, what would be the best way to go about doing that. Because of the windows, we can't sister in support pieces to the sides but would the windows themselves act like sister supports? Could we just cut out one king at a time, replace, then nail the new pieces together once in place? Or just not bother since the wood is dry and just replace the single king stud? The cripples seem easy enough to handle, so its just the matter of the kings.

Thanks!


Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-08-30.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	14614   Click image for larger version

Name:	long pic.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	14615  
act4181 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:27 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired
 
nealtw's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 23,034
Liked 2826 Times on 2481 Posts
Likes Given: 4659

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by act4181 View Post
Hello,

This is my first time posting, but I've found a lot of useful information here in the past. I'm helping a friend of mine with some water damage issues between two windows. He found some areas of bad caulking around window trim and pulled off the siding to expose some water damage to the studs. He's fixed the infiltration issue and has let the area dry out all summer so everything is nice and dry. Normally this would be an easy patch job.

The tricky part is that this damage occurred between two windows. So both the cripples and both king studs are damaged. I've posted two pictures of the are affected. The damage is worse going from right to left, despite the appearance of the far left cripple. The far right cripple is actually in the worst shape, followed by the king stud to the left. I think the cripple-king pair on the left is more or less ok, but the pair on the right should be replaced. But if we're going to fix one pair, it seems like it'd be better to replace both pairs.

Since there are two king studs right next to each other, what would be the best way to go about doing that. Because of the windows, we can't sister in support pieces to the sides but would the windows themselves act like sister supports? Could we just cut out one king at a time, replace, then nail the new pieces together once in place? Or just not bother since the wood is dry and just replace the single king stud? The cripples seem easy enough to handle, so its just the matter of the kings.

Thanks!
How wide are the windows, there might be a cheat here.
2x4 or 2x6 wall.


nealtw is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:19 AM  
act4181
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks for the response! Windows are 36 inches wide and 2x4 wall depth.

Thanks!
act4181 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:30 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired
 
nealtw's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 23,034
Liked 2826 Times on 2481 Posts
Likes Given: 4659

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by act4181 View Post
Thanks for the response! Windows are 36 inches wide and 2x4 wall depth.

Thanks!
Do floor joists or ceiling joist land on the top of the wall.
If yes then the ceiling will need to be supported for the full length of both windows.. This is a result of a poor window installation so they need to be re and re if not replaced. Change as much as you can that is black, anything questionable that is left wants to be treated with cut end treatment to kill what ever is there.
nealtw is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:43 PM  
act4181
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4
Default

Sounds like a plan, thank you for the tip. How should we go about replacing that king stud, however? With the window and the other stud on the other, I can't scab a side support over the joint between the old stud and the splice. Is it better to replace the whole stud or will the window-stud serve the same purpose?

Appreciate the help.
act4181 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:57 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired
 
nealtw's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 23,034
Liked 2826 Times on 2481 Posts
Likes Given: 4659

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by act4181 View Post
Sounds like a plan, thank you for the tip. How should we go about replacing that king stud, however? With the window and the other stud on the other, I can't scab a side support over the joint between the old stud and the splice. Is it better to replace the whole stud or will the window-stud serve the same purpose?

Appreciate the help.
I suspect that once you get into it you will be changing all four. I would start by pulling the windows and looking at the other cripples of both.
nealtw is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:07 PM  
act4181
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4
Default

Awesome. Thanks! Guess this little project got a little longer...

Thank you!
act4181 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:52 PM  
Snoonyb
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,155
Liked 381 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

You also need to consider changing the window sils as well.
__________________
Illigitimas non-carborundum
Snoonyb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:59 PM  
joecaption
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hartfield VA, VA
Posts: 1,892
Liked 226 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

I agree with Neal, if the flashing was done right and there's house wrap installed correctly there was no need for caulking.
Caulking alway fails at some point.


joecaption is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
How to repair these window king and trimmer studs defiance Framing and Foundation 4 07-29-2015 12:59 PM
Rotten wood at door frame - how to repair? southtexasrich Carpentry and Woodworking 5 08-05-2014 05:52 PM
wanting to replace rotten sashes in double hung windows TallCoolOne Windows and Doors 5 07-16-2011 02:14 PM
inter-stud windows Dave928 Windows and Doors 2 05-05-2008 01:04 PM
Inter-stud sized windows? Quattro Windows and Doors 7 06-06-2007 07:50 AM



Newest Threads