DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > chimeny repair or removal

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:29 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1383 Times on 1099 Posts
Likes Given: 405

You're going to damage shingles no matter how careful your are. Get some shingles to match when the chimneys done. Roof repair is s piece of cake compared to the chimney chase.

nealtw Likes This 
Old 06-29-2017, 05:57 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1447 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 779

There is also the (Hold my beer and watch this method.) I’m not saying I would recommend this but watched the Amish take down a two story chimney in about 30 seconds. No beer involved.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:08 PM  
Gary
Liked 160 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Chimney comes down, damaging a few shingles so you re-roof the house. There's a hole where the chimney used to be, so you re-side the house. There's a hole on the inside so you sheetrock & repaint the room. New paint makes the flooring look bad, so you install new flooring. The new room is beautiful, so beautiful that the adjoining rooms look dated. On & On it goes.

Not trying to drain your wallet, it's just the image that popped in my head when I saw your story. Slow day here I guess.
People Like This 
Old 06-29-2017, 04:48 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1447 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Chimney comes down, damaging a few shingles so you re-roof the house. There's a hole where the chimney used to be, so you re-side the house. There's a hole on the inside so you sheetrock & repaint the room. New paint makes the flooring look bad, so you install new flooring. The new room is beautiful, so beautiful that the adjoining rooms look dated. On & On it goes.

Not trying to drain your wallet, it's just the image that popped in my head when I saw your story. Slow day here I guess.
Thatís called the butterfly effect or we used to call it snowballing. With me it doesnít even take a job like the chimney. I can be asked to take down a picture on the wall and then the paint faded and the nail made a hole. Next thing I know Iím buying 600 sq ft of new carpet.
rpinero Likes This 
Old 06-29-2017, 06:46 PM  
Gary
Liked 160 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Thatís called the butterfly effect or we used to call it snowballing. With me it doesnít even take a job like the chimney. I can be asked to take down a picture on the wall and then the paint faded and the nail made a hole. Next thing I know Iím buying 600 sq ft of new carpet.
Yes, I did the same thing myself. We bought an old house. I was supposed to remove the wallpaper in the kitchen while my wife went shopping. When she got back the wallpaper was gone, but so was the plaster & lath along with some walls. That was 30 years ago. We are still working on it. The original house consists of the north & west walls and a little bit of the original roof. Everything else has changed. The house is a little over double the size of when we bought it, along with a couple good sized out buildings. In my defense, I run a business out of our house. That excuse has caused us to expand to (and maybe a few sq. ft over) our max allowable building allowance. Sure has been fun though. And We're getting it pretty close to how we want it now.

rpinero Likes This