DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > chimeny repair or removal

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:34 AM  
Sparky617
Liked 262 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 162

That thing is a mess and probably needs rebuilt from the ground up or removed completely. If it were my house, I would look to replace the woodburning fireplace with a direct vent gas fireplace if I wanted the fireplace. If I didn't have natural gas I'd go propane. Is the existing fireplace a manufactured one or a site built masonry fireplace? If a masonry one, it is built on a very shaky foundation.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:00 AM  
rpinero
Likes Given: 5

I am not sure what type of fireplace it is actually. We don't ever use it and are ok living without it at this stage. The fireplace brick face is almost detached from the wall and we thought about removing it and covering it ip properly with sheetrock to just make it a blank wall. But the exterior is where we are debating how to handle mostly for safety.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:55 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1447 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 779

To me you need to get it down safely before it falls off taking some of the house with it.

Start at the top and take it down one block at a time. I just took an old chimney down about 10’ and it only took 15 minutes with a 5 pound sledge hammer.

Once you get it down you can assess what is behind it and what repairs are needed to repair where it was.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:05 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2943 Times on 2579 Posts
Likes Given: 4844

Rent some scaffolding. And if your not sure about that, have them set it up.
rpinero Likes This 
Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 AM  
rpinero

I can definitely demolish myself. I just wasn't sure what to expect under it all if I did. Any recommendations on how to go about starting from the top? I can think of renting a sizzor lift to work that high by myself maybe. I can probably demolish with a sledge hammer on a ladder but repairs I may need something else.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:28 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

The lift is expensive but handy. Just a hammer will knock them loose.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 AM  
Sparky617
Liked 262 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 162

My concern with a scissor lift is it would be in the zone where you want to drop the rubble as you begin tearing it down from the top one block at a time. You won't have that problem with scaffolding.

You basically take a 5lb hand sledge and knock out a block. Drop it to the ground and move on to the next one. Once you get the thing out of the way you need to assess any water damage to the structure and then following basic carpentry fill in the hole you created, replacing any rot. Once you get the entire thing out of the way, post more pictures if you have questions. I wonder who built that thing, for a fireplace/chimney to show that much damage in 30 some odd years indicates it was built wrong.
rpinero Likes This 
Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 AM  
rpinero

Thank you everyone. I feel alot more confident about tackling this now. Soon as I get to it I will post some progress pictures.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1382 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 403

The ledge at the top under the soffit didn't do anything but collect water. It should have had a taper to the smaller section. A lot of problems would have been avoided.
People Like This 
Old 06-28-2017, 06:59 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
The ledge at the top under the soffit didn't do anything but collect water. It should have had a taper to the smaller section. A lot of problems would have been avoided.
What would you do to protect the roof while he is up there.
We have jumped thru many hoops only to find framing repairs needed anyway.
So it wouldn't make much difference.

I like the scaffolding because you can run a couple timbers over to the roof and walk around the chimney.

Leave all flashing in place for now has when you tarp the job the interior is still sorta protected.