DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > PVC Blinds... Dangerous?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:50 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 402 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Likewise, and it's only an of subscription, yours.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:44 PM  
Sparky617
Liked 240 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 149

csharhar,
I'm not a huge fan of vinyl siding. Especially as homes are being built closer together. When a fire happens one of the first thing the fire department does is set up a water cannon between the homes to keep the fire from spreading. Even with the water cannons, the vinyl siding on adjacent homes will likely melt. There was a major fire near here a few years ago in a townhouse subdivision under construction. It was a windy day and a construction worker threw a cigarette butt into the pine straw mulch. The pine straw caught fire, it traveled up the vinyl siding, and went into the attic through the vinyl soffit. When it was all said and done 15 homes went up in flames. The outcome of that fire was several towns in the area prohibit using pine straw for mulch on multi-family housing. My preferred option is fiber cement (Hardi-Plank) siding or brick.

All that said, I don't see a huge problem with vinyl blinds on the market today. If you are sensitive you might want to go with a different window covering. There are numerous items in your new home that will outgas for a few weeks/months after closing. That new home smell comes from outgasing from the carpet and other building materials. Just like that new car smell, is from the plastics, carpet, and upholstery (leather, cloth or vinyl). Having glanced at several of your links they seem concerned about the noxious fumes in a fire, hint, if your house is on fire GET OUT, don't stop to grab your wedding photos. Grab the kids and get out. They're also concerned about manufacturing, plastics are everywhere.

People Like This 
Old 10-07-2017, 03:55 PM  
frodo

Liked 1189 Times on 930 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky617 View Post
csharhar,
I'm not a huge fan of vinyl siding. Especially as homes are being built closer together. When a fire happens one of the first thing the fire department does is set up a water cannon between the homes to keep the fire from spreading. Even with the water cannons, the vinyl siding on adjacent homes will likely melt. There was a major fire near here a few years ago in a townhouse subdivision under construction. It was a windy day and a construction worker threw a cigarette butt into the pine straw mulch. The pine straw caught fire, it traveled up the vinyl siding, and went into the attic through the vinyl soffit. When it was all said and done 15 homes went up in flames. The outcome of that fire was several towns in the area prohibit using pine straw for mulch on multi-family housing. My preferred option is fiber cement (Hardi-Plank) siding or brick.

All that said, I don't see a huge problem with vinyl blinds on the market today. If you are sensitive you might want to go with a different window covering. There are numerous items in your new home that will outgas for a few weeks/months after closing. That new home smell comes from outgasing from the carpet and other building materials. Just like that new car smell, is from the plastics, carpet, and upholstery (leather, cloth or vinyl). Having glanced at several of your links they seem concerned about the noxious fumes in a fire, hint, if your house is on fire GET OUT, don't stop to grab your wedding photos. Grab the kids and get out. They're also concerned about manufacturing, plastics are everywhere.
I agree with Sparky 100%
I installed the wood type blinds in my home in Texas
I threw out the vinyl because the wife told me to.

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum/...faq=supporting

Old 10-07-2017, 04:39 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2859 Times on 2509 Posts
Likes Given: 4739

So buy wood ones and then think about the finish on those.
frodo Likes This 
Old 10-07-2017, 10:10 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1112 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1830

There are other options besides blinds, be it wood, vinyl or faux wood. Consider cellular shades if it makes you feel better. You may get rid of the blinds and find that there's radon in the house....go figure.
frodo Likes This 
Old 10-08-2017, 02:29 PM  
cshahar
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks all. I think I will hold off throwing out the PVC blinds, simply on the basis of your statements.

nealtw Likes This