DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Pipes "thud" when water is turned on or off anywhere in the house

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:37 PM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Default Pipes "thud" when water is turned on or off anywhere in the house

The house was built in the late 70s. Single story ranch with a crawl space. The pipes are copper. The previous owners were cheap. The thud is loud.

So, what causes this kind of thing? Does it have to do with the placement of the pipes? How they're mounted under the floor? In the plumbing system itself? Is it just a normal part of having copper pipes and hardwood floors?

Old 10-10-2017, 09:02 PM  
Smythers00
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sounds like water hammer to me. Here's a video from This Old House that may explain what you're going through.

PS> I'm not advocating the use of a water arrestor, just pointing to the video to see if it describes the problem and why it' happening.

Flyover Likes This 
Old 10-10-2017, 10:31 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1109 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 1826

Could be water hammer. Could also be the pipes are not secured in place properly. They might be banging against the joists or studs.
Flyover Likes This 
Old 10-11-2017, 02:48 PM  
elbo
Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 43

you can stop water hammer by shutting off the water to your house and opening all your faucetsinside and outside till all the water is drained. Then shut the faucets and turn on the water where you shut it off. There are good explanations of what water hammer is by googling it.If the noise is from pipes banging against something , get some "great stuff foam" and spray the area
Flyover Likes This 
Old 10-11-2017, 05:30 PM  
frodo

Liked 1180 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 413

crawl under the house and have someone turn the water on and off
locate the area of the bump.
a lot of times it where the water pipes come up threw the floor. cut a wood shim and drive it in the annular space
between the hole and pipe.

or cut a 2x4 to nail next to a pipe , use a copper 2 hole strap to secure pipe to 2x4

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum/...faq=supporting

Last edited by frodo; 10-11-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Flyover Likes This 
Old 10-11-2017, 09:40 PM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Thanks everyone, these are helpful ideas. I'll check it out and get back to you.

[UPDATE] So far the videos I've found on "water hammer" don't sound like what I've got going on. The water hammer in the videos sounds like tapping or rattling.

Maybe it's the sound quality of the recordings, but when water is turned on or off my pipes really sound like a large 30 pound sack falling onto a hardwood floor in the next room over, with a kind of deep rumbling sound mixed in that lingers for a few moments after the initial thud.

I do think it probably is water hammer though, given the mechanism of how it works.

Last edited by Flyover; 10-11-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:08 AM  
Smythers00
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If possible:

- Locate where the noise is coming from
- See if you can access the plumbing at that point
- Post up a video of the problem.

Maybe a fresh set of eyes can help you pinpoint this thing a little better.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:02 PM  
ajaynejr

The exact sound of water hammer in your house could vary depending on how the pipes are fastened to the joists, studs, etc.

The reason why draining the pipes sometimes stops water hammer is that air bubbles may remain behind in the pipes and act as shock absorbers.

Installing a water hammer arrestor is a more reliable and longer lasting solution, although some varieties of water hammer arrestors require draining the section of pipe in question every few months.

The best place to install a water hammer arrestor is near the faucet that causes it.

Note: A loose washer or trapped sediment in a faucet can also cause water hammer.

Last edited by ajaynejr; 10-12-2017 at 08:18 PM.