DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Siding leaves decking/subflooring exposed. How to cover?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:41 PM  
zannej

Liked 491 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 2858

Would it be a bad idea for him to paint the exposed wood with exterior paint as well?

Also, thanks for the info on the PT corroding aluminum flashing. I did not know that. That affects a few projects I have on my list.

Thank you for the link to the vinyl flashing!

Good luck with your repairs!

Old 11-05-2017, 12:12 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 420 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is another; https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pr...5eaa06_400.jpg

Old 11-05-2017, 09:02 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2916 Times on 2557 Posts
Likes Given: 4806

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannej View Post
Would it be a bad idea for him to paint the exposed wood with exterior paint as well?

Also, thanks for the info on the PT corroding aluminum flashing. I did not know that. That affects a few projects I have on my list.

Thank you for the link to the vinyl flashing!

Good luck with your repairs!
Galvanized steel or vinyl will work.
zannej Likes This 
Old 11-06-2017, 07:13 AM  
TMackey
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thank you all for the replies. Much appreciated.
zannej Likes This 
Old 11-08-2017, 08:08 AM  
joecaption
Liked 247 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I have seen a piece of new pressure wood just sitting on a galvanized jet ski trailer eat right through the metal to the point there was none left at the top of a piece of channel iron.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:45 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I have seen a piece of new pressure wood just sitting on a galvanized jet ski trailer eat right through the metal to the point there was none left at the top of a piece of channel iron.
You are confusing aluminum with galvanized.

Aluminum is what gets eaten.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:49 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

https://www.strongtie.com/products/p...eated-wood-faq

What metals and protective coatings does the Treated Wood Industry recommend for use with these products?
Hot-dip galvanized or stainless steel fasteners, anchors and hardware are recommended by the Preservative Treated Wood Industry for use with treated wood. This has been the position of this industry for years and their position has not changed with the transition to the alternative copper-based products. In the past this industry did not address the required levels of galvanizing, however most of those in the industry now provide information regarding the minimum level of galvanizing that should be used.

The thicker the galvanized coating the longer the expected service life of the fastener, connector, anchor, or other hardware will be.

Electroplated/electro galvanized and mechanically galvanized coatings should not be considered to be hot-dip galvanized. (Class 55, or higher, mechanical galvanizing provides galvanizing equivalent to the hot-dip galvanizing used on connectors and fasteners. Ref. ASTM B695 for additional information.)

It is also worth noting that the galvanized coating thickness varies depending on the galvanizing process used. Remember, the thicker the galvanized coating, the longer the expected service life of the steel will be.

Refer to the different chemical manufacturers and/or treaters as well for their recommendations. A list of trade names is included at the bottom of this page.

zannej Likes This