DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Insulation and Radiant Barriers > Bathroom Exterior Wall help

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:42 AM  
biddlecom
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Bathroom Exterior Wall help

I have a small 10’x6’ bathroom and am completely gutting and redoing it. I have a question about the exterior and kitchen wall (the red lines in the picture). Do I put sheetrock on the tub wall, backer board, plastic anything? The exterior wall should I just put insulation or plastic as well. My bathroom will not have a vent but does have a window. I live in Maine and my exterior walls are set up from outside to inside – vinyl siding, plastic, foam board, diagonal boards to studs, roxal batt insulation, (no plastic) then sheetrock.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	13793  

Last edited by biddlecom; 03-27-2017 at 07:46 AM.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:09 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2915 Times on 2556 Posts
Likes Given: 4800

Up here it would be insulation, vapour barrier tub on exterior wall.
If it is just a tub, drywall to the lip and one row of tile over the lip.
If tiling a shower above the tub, backer board fill with thin set, redgard sealer and tile.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:14 PM  
aNYCdb
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It depends on a number of things.

1) Is it just a tub or a tub/shower
2) Are you going to tile?

Personally I would do cement board on both the kitchen and exterior wall (and the wall between the tub and sink), with either a plastic vapor barrier between the studs and the board or better yet a memebrane (redguard) over the cement board around the tub (but don't do both the plastic and the membrane). I would then tile where I want tile and do a skim coat with mud where you are going to paint. Then green board on the bedroom wall.