DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > What did you do today?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:36 AM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 134

The whole family's sick. If I can get one load of laundry done today I'll be lucky.

zannej Likes This 
Old 11-12-2017, 03:15 PM  
tuffy
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo View Post
Speaking of projects, I just got back from home depot
i needed some treated 2x4's
i saw the price at $4.42 each
then i saw treated landscape timbers at $3,37 each
I bought landscape timbers, and will rip them
prices are crazy
I never thought of that GREAT idea how many 2x4s will you get out of 1 timber? I'm going to steal your idea.when ever I need a bunch 1x stock I usually buy a 1x12x12 and rip it down lot cheaper.

Last edited by tuffy; 11-12-2017 at 03:22 PM.
zannej Likes This 
Old 11-13-2017, 01:54 AM  
zannej

Liked 491 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 2865

Flyover, I hope you and your family get well soon.

Tuffy and Frodo, please let me know how that works out-- ripping the 4x4s.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 AM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1003 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I put a fireplace in my shop yesterday. Chimneys are so simple they have me worried now.
zannej Likes This 
Old 11-13-2017, 09:30 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2920 Times on 2560 Posts
Likes Given: 4808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I put a fireplace in my shop yesterday. Chimneys are so simple they have me worried now.
Clean them often.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:02 AM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Finally got the bathroom walls rolled. Now it's all brushwork, which is much easier to fit in around life.
zannej Likes This 
Old 11-16-2017, 12:55 PM  
zannej

Liked 491 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 2865

I took my mother to her podiatrist's office for an appointment yesterday. There was very ill woman in the waiting room who was nauseous and kept moaning. I procured an alcohol swab from one of the nurses and gave it to the lady and told her to sniff it a little bit periodically to relieve the nausea. It worked and then she wanted to set me up with her 50-year-old son (who was sitting nearby rolling his eyes). Podiatrist said that the fungus cream I'm using seems to be working and the new nail growth coming out is free of fungus, but it will take a year for it to clear up.

I got sick from eating some soup at IHOP-- the tomato whatever the hell it is that is basically pure acid and I think it has green peppers--which I have an intolerance to. It didn't quite hit me until I was in HomeDepot later and I doubled over in pain and had to leave abruptly. My mother had me get her a chocolate shake at McDonalds and she felt very sick afterward. I was also sick around the same time, but she's still having the stomach issues and, while I still feel bleh, my stomach issues have mostly cleared up. She had the flu vaccine already so I wonder if it was the McDonalds.
I have to go pick up her syringes from the pharmacy later, but for now I'm serving as a bed for my kitty that has leukemia.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:24 PM  
MrMiz
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Welding stuff.

Been pricing out tig welding stuff. Pricing from 3 different spots in town and it's really strange all 3 have different individual pricing but they all total the same thing... seems fishy to me. #1 $150 for the Bottle, $40 for the gas. #2 $160 bottle, 30 gas #3 $155 bottle, and you guessed it $35 for the gas. Am I the only one that thinks that is weird? The other thing that really bugs me is they don't list any prices on their in store inventory. So you walk in see a few things you like but you have to go to the counter to price each thing. I don't like that but I'm to amiable to ask why. For example I'm looking at a new helmet find one I like take it to the counter ask how much... $498... after collecting my jaw off the floor I go back to the wall of helmets and think... which one of these isn't going to make me want to cry. Can't decided so I decide to go home and shop on amazon.... seems like local business is making it hard to spend with them. Anybody know why some companies are like this? There is a construction supply company in town like this too so it doesn't seem to be just welding supplies.
Thoughts?
zannej Likes This 
Old 11-16-2017, 10:07 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1435 Times on 1099 Posts
Likes Given: 774

Today Holly went in to town and called on the way home telling me chicken wings sounded good from the bowling ally. I said order them I will pick them up as I was just locking up the workshop for the day. Just as I was leaving for the wings she pulled in the driveway and said lets take her car it is warmed up. We go in the restaurant and the guy tells me $16.09 and I hand him a 20. Holly always trying to save a penny said wait I have the 9 cents and digs out a dime and tells him keep the change. So he takes the 20.10 and hands us the wings. LOL. She looked shocked and I said come on big spender our wings are getting cold.

She’s as mad as a wet hen. Lol. I normally tip them a buck or something on take out.

Other than that my little workshop is almost to the place I know where things are. Haven’t had that feeling in 5 years. Retirement is great for puttering around.
zannej Likes This 
Old 11-16-2017, 10:12 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1380 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 403

Holly keeps that up and your butt will be back to slapping the alarm clock every morning....🕔

People Like This