DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Powder Room in a bad spot, what to do?

Old 01-27-2017, 12:17 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2448 Times on 2155 Posts
Likes Given: 4131

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
Since moving a piece of furniture is at no cost and not doing any damage, try that first. If you like it, boom, you're done. And if you don't, you just move it back and try something else.
As much as I like the idea of changing the swing of the door, it does create a small hazard of nailing someone who may be passing the door at the moment it opens. And one would have to close the door first, before stepping around it.
The other quick and easy is to just move the door closer to the laundry.

bud16415 Likes This 
Old 01-27-2017, 06:51 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1202 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
The other quick and easy is to just move the door closer to the laundry.

It is hard to see the layout of the powder room in your photos. Is the sink to the left of the toilet when walking in the room? If so moving that door and changing the swing the other direction (still an inswing) would go a long way to cleaning up the view and not breaking the bank.

zannej Likes This 
Old 01-28-2017, 01:29 AM  
zannej
Established Member

Liked 393 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 2136

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post

It is hard to see the layout of the powder room in your photos. Is the sink to the left of the toilet when walking in the room? If so moving that door and changing the swing the other direction (still an inswing) would go a long way to cleaning up the view and not breaking the bank.
I was thinking the same thing! If it won't hit anything, changing the door to swing inward the opposite direction might hide the toilet.

I also think you should try moving a piece of furniture in between for a short while and see how it works. It might prove to be annoying to get around it though, since the space is so small.

I absolutely despise the combo unit washer/dryers. Had to use one when I was living in a hotel while waiting for housing for several months when my family was overseas. I kept bumping my head on the dryer when I was reaching in to the top-load washer part.

The stacked ones aren't so bad from what I've seen (although I prefer non-stacked ones on pedestals bc I have a bad back). If you stack your washer and dryer on top of one another (or get something like the Electrolux IQ touch or one of the LG or Samsung models) you could put them where the dryer currently is (that's the one on the right?) That way the pathway to the door would be more direct and it would be less cramped when accessing it. You could then add different types of storage on the sides. You could even store things under the utility sink if there is enough room. houzz and pinterest of full of ideas on laundry room space-saving. I like the retractable drying rack that mounts on the wall. A friend of mine had that-- no picture since I can't fit many pics in one post.

There are some that apparently have a pull-out folding shelf and if the top stacked one is hard to reach, there is a carrying bin that can be flipped over and used as a stool (Safe T Stool from HD).

If you merge the laundry room and bathroom, maybe you could just put doors or something in front of the washer and dryer (if you wanted to go that route).
Save
200a8c23c474abd4ba64f8896272963f.jpg   6cda627d119e971ec1b4f68049a3df76.jpg   a321e542ea5280e60acd7da6afaa3f45.jpg   f2c60bf5fefaba16d6680f86c0802891.jpg  
DenisTheThief Likes This 
Old 01-29-2017, 07:48 AM  
DenisTheThief
Established Member
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:

Thanks for the idea. Changing the swing, I like the cost. But I think visitors would still feel uncomfortable and it is still a turn-off for potential buyers. Same with moving the door, there's only a foot to work with.

Here's the latest... I went to Home Hardware to ask them. They thought having a full on the main floor is good since we have only one upstairs so it's closer than going to the basement. And we don't have enough space to put a bedroom down there anyway.

One idea I had is to do the switch but take a notch from the larger room for the laundry room, so it wouldn't be so small. I measured and it looks doable. And we could fit our current appliances in there. Here is the a visual. And also they sell these Utile Maax Shower Kits. They look nice. Not as nice as ceramic, but could save a lot: https://st.hzcdn.com/fimgs/70a1fd930...l-bathroom.jpg
10993673.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 01-29-2017, 08:50 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1202 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Looks like a plan that will work.

I helped my nephew design his house and he was wondering what to do about a location for his laundry room. I suggested he forget about building a separate room to house the washer and dryer combine the too spaces into one much larger area and have the laundry along one wall of the large bathroom. We laid it out that way with some kitchen type cabinets above the two machines so there isn’t a lot of clutter and some hamper places. I think it works out nice and he and his wife love the less cramped feel in both rooms. It also solves the problem of a messy laundry room as you keep it picked up as it is a room you wont be hiding things in.

Hallways are wasted space and if you moved the wall so the one room would enclose it all you would have a room 100 x 116 to work with

Just an idea.
People Like This 
Old 01-30-2017, 05:38 PM  
DenisTheThief
Established Member
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:

Hallways are wasted space and if you moved the wall so the one room would enclose it all you would have a room 100 x 116 to work with

Just an idea.
I never thought of that...

Old 01-31-2017, 08:18 PM  
zannej
Established Member

Liked 393 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 2136

Looks like a good plan, Denis.
If you are going to have enough room to have the washer and dryer side by side, you might want to build a pedestal under them (or have one built). I saw quite a few plans for them.
This is a rough one that has a pull-out shelf to set the laundry baskets on when taking stuff out or putting stuff in the machines.
http://www.ana-white.com/2016/11/DIY...dryer-pedestal

I saw another version in picture only that had two slides...

or someone went super fancy:

When relocating the dryer, did you think about the path for the dryer's vent?
It seems like it vents out the side of the house for now, but if you move the appliances, you will need to find a new path for the vent that will go outside of the house. It should be somewhere that you will be able to access to clean out any lint that might get stuck in it.

When shopping for stuff, you might want to try a Habitat for Humanity ReStore if there is one in your area because they usually have lower prices or try something like Surplus Warehouse (again, if they have one near you). The one near me sells Maax shower units.
DenisTheThief Likes This 
Old 02-16-2017, 10:29 AM  
mabloodhound
Restoration & Renovations
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I like your contractors suggestion except I'd probably use one of those pre-fab shower surrounds.
I also see hallways as a wasted space but if you remove those walls and put the door out at the end of the old hall, then you're back into the same visibility problem.
You're last floor plan looks like the best solution and you might even consider having just the one door into the bathroom and removing that wall entirely between the bath and laundry. That way there is no extra door in the hall and might give you a bit more feeling of roominess in the bathroom and a larger shower. Any shelving could go above the washer/dryer.