self-drilling zip screws for leader extensions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D725A

Reaction score
I had a few left over white hex 8 x 1/2" self-tapping screws from the new aluminum gutter install but I needed a few more. I have been to home depot and several big hardware stores but can only find them online. (See attached photo)

There are apparently various types of self-tapping screws, but from I gather I shouldn't be using the ones that have that special look at the point. The ones in the photo have very sharp edges and were very easy to install.

My leaders are aluminum and I assume the screws should be aluminum too, though they seem to be hard to find. One store sold me some stainless steel phillips head 8x 1/2" as a backup but don't know about the interaction between aluminum and stainless steel. Any thoughts?

aluminum zip screws.jpg

You shouldn't have a reaction between aluminum and stainless. Problems occur when you have copper and aluminum together. If you are trying to find the screws they used for your gutters look in the phone book and find a gutter or siding supply house. They will have different colors to match your application.

You could also check with your local roofing supplier but, expect to have to buy them in a minimum quantity box (100ct.).

The stainless should be fine altho more expensive than what you need.

Thanks MaryLouise, but can I just buy 100? I'm only a homeowner don't need quantity. That would be part #10006 8 x 1/2" white indented hex washer head slotted needlepoint screws. If you don't sell direct, please give me some stores that carry them either near zip code 10520 or new york city. Thanks.

Back