We are just so frustrated with our home purchase and all the things we have had to fix. It has become the money-pit purchase of the century. The major problem is that it is an older one level cottage-style home, by a lake, with a crawlspace which is dirt and bedrock on the ground. With noticeable moisture on the windows when we moved in, it was recommended that we have Icynene Insulation blown over all crawlspace outside walls and plastic to cover all of the ground as a vapour barrier. The furnace is down there and heat vents blow heat into the crawlspace as well as into the house from the furnace, (oil). The water heater, first unit to the septic, furnace, well pump, all pipes, wires, water softener, and some of our few belongings are in the crawlspace in one area and the rest is empty. Some areas are about 6ft in height whereas others are 3 ft. We have no venting except the vent drawing in outside air to the furnace. The smell inside the house is unbearable to me at times, musty, almost gassy. The biggest problem of all with this, is my health. Since living here I have severe allergy like symptoms and now I am on a puffer and nasal spray daily. In-depth allergy tests showed I was allergic to absolutely nothing. I believe it's the crawlspace causing me to be sick. Can you please help us out. We have been told so many things by so many different people and are totally confused as to how to handle this crawlspace with minimum cost as we have sunk so much into the house already.
Thank you so much. Any advise at this point will be a huge help to us and I would be so grateful to you if you can assist me in getting off meds and leading me back to a healthy happy life.