DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > help on closet floors..

Old 10-04-2010, 03:51 PM  
newguy97

Default help on closet floors..

I am in the middle of renovating an apartment I just purchased. I have a contractor doing some work to the kitchen and bathroom, but I decided to do all other "minor" work myself.

One of the first things I'm going to tackle is re-doing the flooring in the closets. The current closets have old, dirty tiles and I want to replace them with wooden flooring.

My question is.. assuming the tiles are relatively even, can I just glue my wooden floors on top?

Being a complete novice, can someone recommend the appropriate type of wood flooring and glue I should use?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 07:39 PM  
fuzzman

Sounds like you either have a concrete subfloor, or you have ceramic tile down. In either case i would recommend taking up the tile, just to insure a good bond.

Fuzzman

Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 PM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If the existing tile on the floor is older than 20 years, be cautious about removing them as they could contain asbestos. If the existing tile is smooth, tight and straight, you can glue down most hardwood floors to it. You could also consider using a floating wood floor.

Quick Reply