DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garden and Lawncare > Weird creepy weed, what is it?




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 09:36 AM  
handyguys
Senior Member
 
handyguys's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 815
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys
Default Weird creepy weed, what is it?

okay - I have never seen this before. I'm curious if anyone knows what it is. I had a few and they pulled up easily when the ground was moist.

My daughter describes them as "creepy" weeds.

You can click the image to see it larger.


Its low to the ground, mixed in with crab grass. You don't really see it unless you mow low.


__________________
The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]
handyguys is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 AM  
oldognewtrick
Lost And Found Dept
HRT_ADMIN.png
 
oldognewtrick's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 7,410
Liked 748 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Default

Isn't that the weed that grew the pods in the movie Invasion Of The Body Snatchers?



oldognewtrick is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:59 PM  
handyguys
Senior Member
 
handyguys's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 815
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys
Default

You mean it would have grown into this before I killed it!!!! Yikes!
__________________
The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]
handyguys is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:15 PM  
burtonridr
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spokane, Washington
Posts: 8
Default

They look like the ones we had everywhere when I lived in Arizona, they are real pain to get rid of and the ants love them for some reason.
__________________
Eric
[url=http://gardenandstorageshedplans.com/?page_id=16]Garden and Storage Shed Plans[/url]
burtonridr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:51 PM  
oldognewtrick
Lost And Found Dept
HRT_ADMIN.png
 
oldognewtrick's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 7,410
Liked 748 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyguys View Post
You mean it would have grown into this before I killed it!!!! Yikes!
Where do you think we found InspectorD at?
oldognewtrick is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 PM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
havasu's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern California, CA
Posts: 3,187
Liked 242 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonridr View Post
They look like the ones we had everywhere when I lived in Arizona, they are real pain to get rid of and the ants love them for some reason.
I pulled about 40 of those weeds today from my Havasu house and you are correct, the ants love them for some strange reason!
havasu is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:10 PM  
handyguys
Senior Member
 
handyguys's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 815
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys
Default

Yikes!
__________________
The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]
handyguys is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:58 PM  
DrHicks
Big Hog
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 102
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyguys View Post
okay - I have never seen this before. I'm curious if anyone knows what it is. I had a few and they pulled up easily when the ground was moist.

My daughter describes them as "creepy" weeds.

You can click the image to see it larger.


Its low to the ground, mixed in with crab grass. You don't really see it unless you mow low.
Looks like Purslane to me. Portulaca oleracea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Spray it with 2-4D.
DrHicks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:37 PM  
fijimertz
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 4
Default

Old post, but I am new and searching. This is most likely spurge, also known as milk purslane.

Milk Purslane (Chamaesyce maculata) - Ontario Wildflowers

Treatment: Guide to Common Lawn Weeds | Bayer Advanced

These are known for the single deep root that does pull out fairly easily, especially with damp soil.

Good luck!
fijimertz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:00 PM  
SnellExperts
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijimertz View Post
Old post, but I am new and searching. This is most likely spurge, also known as milk purslane.

Milk Purslane (Chamaesyce maculata) - Ontario Wildflowers

Treatment: Guide to Common Lawn Weeds | Bayer Advanced

These are known for the single deep root that does pull out fairly easily, especially with damp soil.

Good luck!
It looks familiar, if it is the same that I am thinking of, then it is pretty easy to remove like this guy ^ said.


__________________
[URL=http://www.snellexperts.com]Mold Inspection[/URL]
[URL=http://www.executiverestoration.com]Mold Inspection Charlotte NC[/URL]
SnellExperts is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Weird water heater issue?!? markjsherrell Water Softener and Heater 9 12-01-2011 07:59 PM
Weird smell coming from outlets suresk Electrical and Wiring 2 06-05-2010 07:46 AM
Condenser fan acting weird mjpogue HVAC 4 11-25-2008 02:13 PM
old house, sink in weird spot... Marouschka General Home Improvement Discussion 5 11-18-2007 09:35 PM
Weird. gan_nair Electrical and Wiring 4 06-14-2007 08:38 PM

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS