DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Stone Chimney in bad shape...HELP

Old 10-12-2010, 07:53 AM  
organick

Default Stone Chimney in bad shape...HELP

I just bought a house and this is the stone chimney. The fireplace it was for is no longer functional so it is strictly cosmetic at this point. I do like it but its not 110% necessary to keep. SO can it be "fixed" does it need to come down and start over?? The pics tell the story.

chimney 001.jpg   chimney 002.jpg   chimney 004.jpg   chimney 005.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

same answer as tscar & i gave on the other forum,,, just be careful it doesn't fall down ON you when you demo it

Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 AM  
organick

Thanks again. What can I expect behind the chimney? Is rebuilding a resonable project to tackle for someone with no real masonry background? What needs to be done to the house if I remove and don't rebuild?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:21 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hopefully you can expect to find exterior grade sheathing would it be reasonable for anyone w/no experience to come into your work & perform at your level of expertise ? think you already know the answer to that, right ? short answer's NO !

finish the siding w/same mtl for best results,,, downside is reside that whole side as your present siding may have faded over the years.

again, IF you decide to undertake the demo, be EXTREMELY careful,,, that wood cribbing up against the structure's there for a reason,,, falling rocks tend to flatten one's head & shoulders

Old 10-12-2010, 11:18 AM  
CraigFL

I would fix it with this: Quikpoint Drill Mate Mortar Gun | ConstructionComplete

Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

respectfully disagree as i think the question is more of ' should it be repaired ? ' than ' how ' right now,,, repointing is definitely NOT the best method as there's little to repair from my observation of the pictures,,, we've used those guns &, while they do have their place, its not on our jobs,,, haven't seen the pro's using them yet, either.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:55 PM  
organick

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
hopefully you can expect to find exterior grade sheathing would it be reasonable for anyone w/no experience to come into your work & perform at your level of expertise ? think you already know the answer to that, right ? short answer's NO !

finish the siding w/same mtl for best results,,, downside is reside that whole side as your present siding may have faded over the years.

again, IF you decide to undertake the demo, be EXTREMELY careful,,, that wood cribbing up against the structure's there for a reason,,, falling rocks tend to flatten one's head & shoulders

In know way do I think it is reasonable to have the skill and expertise of someone who does stone work professionally. I just want to know if I took time and did research and took my time could I do it? I have built plenty of things just not with stone, which is obviously a different game. I would rather not have to deal with matching steel siding if I can avoid it.

There isnt actually any cribbing, just some wood sitting there from the fence building

I really appreciate the info.

Is that gun/technique anything to even ponder? Would be nice if its that easy???

Old 10-12-2010, 07:03 PM  
organick

I just want to make sure I am giving you guys all the info. Not the whole thing looks like this, there are areas that look much better. I assume that makes no difference but I just want to make sure. thanks again.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:12 PM  
BobAristide
Faux stone panels

That looks in bad shape. Might want to consider redoing this fireplace chimney in an easier way, that will last. You can install a new steel duct system, frame around it and install antico imitation stone panels like the guy in this blog did. Scroll down toward the middle of the page.

Imitation stone panels - Blog

http://www.anticoelements.com

Quick Reply