Garage floor repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

Reaction score
I have a concrete pad for a garage floor. The garage walls are built on top of the edges of this pad. The garage roof is attached to the side of the house.

The concrete pad is badly cracked and in places either heaved and/or sunk up to an inch, perhaps up to two inches. This movement has been caused by tree roots and water erosion along the side of the garage. The trees have been removed, the sides of the garage have been built up and ditched to divert the water away from the concrete edge, the cracks have been filled with an amazing amount of sand.

I want to repair/re-do the floor. The problem is I can't tear down the whole garage because it is a foot from the property line and if I tore it down I wouldn't be able to rebuild it in this spot (new town by-laws).

The question then is either: How do I repair the concrete floor (ie pour a really thick cement slab on top of the old one???) or how can I remove the old slab and pour a new cement slab without knocking down the existing garage wall?

Any suggestions greatfully accepted and appreciated, thanks.

Cameron

The best way to fix the problem is to suport the walls. The slab should have footers under the walls. Any concrete contractor can do this small repair. Make sure they have insurance and are licensed.

Latest posts

Back