nail guns purchase--comply with Cal code

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighDesertHomeOwner

Reaction score
I want to buy a framing nail gun and a roofing nail gun.

I want to be sure to comply with code re head type of the nails, clipped head acceptable or not.

The city I live in says it comforms to the California code and does not have a city code.

I plan to move to Riverside/San Bernardino or near by cities in a couple of years and may well build a large shed there, so I hope to buy nail guns I can use in the future as well.

Should I buy only nail guns of a certain nail head type?

Thanks

Thanks

This weekend I purchased a new framing nail gun at harbor Freight (at a very low price special discounted price). I have read that this nail gun is of passable quality and reliability.

It says it will take full head nails, up to 3.5 inches long so if this work out I will be OK.

It will shoot nails as short as 2 3/8 inch. So it should be good for attaching OSB sheets onto rafters and wall frame studs. So I don't actually need another gun for roofing.

Am I right?

Is there any real disadvantge to using 3.25 inch nails instead of 3.5 inch? Does the California general construction code allow 3.25 inch nails instead of 3.5 inch nails, 12d instead of 16d I think?

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back